About My India Trip

Hi friends,
Greetings from India.

We reached safely, didn’t have any problems in the flight, but when we reached, immediately within few hours, my pain started. I tried to stay home taking my breakthrough medications but it didn’t work out. I went to Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, where my old GI doctor is the director and Chief Gastroenterologist. He knows many of the doctors at PENN. He knows Dr Sutherland, etc.
Anyway, he was satisfied with my overall progress and asked me to try to eat as much as possible and reduce the feedings through J-tube. I got good treatment and came home yesterday. I had almost 25 visitors yesterday friends, relatives, etc. Kids were scared but now they are having fun with cousins and I am hoping that would be the only hospitalization and I get to relax, enjoy the rest of the trip. Hope you are having pain free days and take good care of yourselves, dear friends. I am thinking of you all and I’ll take good care of myself.

Love you all!

I’ll send you some pictures later.

Lots of love and many hugs,

Durga

Hi, Durga!

It’s so good to hear from you and that you arrived safely. I’m so sorry to hear about the hospital run, but I’m so glad you have docs there who know you and were able to help.

I hope you keep having a great trip and visits with family-- Thanks for letting us know how you are and that you made the flight without problems.

Lotsa love and hugs and many wishes for a great trip and return,

Lisa

Precious Durga,

I am so glad you made it to India!!! Please send pictures! I have always
wanted to see India for myself. I am friends with some docs that were from
India and the way they would talk about their home made me long to see if
for myself! I was SO pleased with the bracelets!!! My oldest loved
it and my 7 year was so amazed that someone her age could make such a
beautiful bracelet. I have some birthdays coming up soon for my neices and
godchild so I will be placing an order in a few weeks. I will wait to place
the order until you are heading back to the US.

I am so sorry it took me so long to get back to careplace. The last
hospital admission had me in for 9 days!! I was climbing the walls. I got
home and had my oldest daughters birthday to plan and school is starting in
about a week!! I was so behind and frazzled because of my admissions to the
hospital being so close together and so long (7 days in hospital-out for 3
weeks at home but still sick with infection-back in the hospital for 9
days!!) that it has taken me so long to even have a moment to get on the
computer. I also have my mother-in-law visiting for 2 weeks. I adore her
and she is so helpful but I hated that she had to see my house and me turned
upside down!

I am glad that your doctor in India is pleased with your overall condition.
That is nice to hear when you don’t feel good. I am a little scared about
some of the test results that I had while in hospital this last time but I
am trying to stay calm and wait to hear what my GI says. I see him in early
September and I am fearful that he will want to do another ERCP. I had such
a bad flare-up after the last one he did that I am afraid of the after
effects of the ERCP more than actually having it done.

Sorry to be so long. I have missed you and the others so much while I have
been unable to get time to get on the computer. I hope you have a wonderful
visit!! Do what you can and don’t push yourself!!
Much Love,
Angela

Dear Durga,
I’m so glad you made to India safe and sound. Sorry to hear about your hospital vist, Hope that is the last one for you and you can enjoy the rest of your stay. Cant wait to see the pictures.
Love and hugs
Joe

YA HOOOOOOO! YA HOOOOOOO! YA HOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Have a wonderful trip, enjoy your country and your family and continue staying comfortable! We're all thinking about you!

Huge hugs!

Charles

Durga,

I am happy that you made it to India, the land of your birth and growing up and your family. I am sad to hear that you became so ill after getting there and hope that the rest of your time wiill be much better.

I must needs also mention the wonderful jewelry that you made for me and hope that others will also take a look at it and, I am sure, order more from you. (BTW, Durga’s web site is http://inspirationbeadworks.com) I know that I certainly will as I can use my allowance for that (readl below on this topic).

Since this goes out to everyone anyway, I am killing two birds with one stone.

Unfortunately, I am doing very poorly and striving daily to stay away from the hospital at all cost. I have been spiraling down now for a couple of weeks and only got out of the hospital 4 weeks ago after an 11 day stay. To top it off, my primary care physician did not forward a referral to radioology to put in my MediPort because I no longer have useful veins for an IV. Now, should I be re-admitted, I will have to have a PICC line put in and my right upper arm and shoulder are still aching from the one I had and had removed whie in hospital the last time. I am steadily using the liqud concentrated morphine just to get by every day now. Also, my thoughts of leaving this life are getting graver and more emotional and I spend time crying at night whle Sara is asleep.

While I spindown and take more drugs, I also have a nasty habit of buying too many things on the web with the old credit card above and beyond what is good for me ad the family. It is a psychological compulsion that torments me and, when Sara got the bill this month, Sara went ballistic. We had a long talk about it all and I have vowed to not spen a penny unless I talk with her first. Now, I hav an allowance that I can spend or save each month that is tied to my bank ATM card. This will keep me in greater check and I will see my psychotherapist to discuss this more. Does anyone else have things that they do when they are “blue” that are not good for them in this group. I knnow that this takes a great leap of faith but we all are here to help each other and to take care oof each other as wel. No judgements, just support.

I am so indebeted to the love and support here and have been “holing up” in my illness and depression and sucking it all in ad I know that this leads me to grave thooughts of suicide. I will strive to be here more often.

Anyse

Anyse,

Please hang in there. I do not post very often, but have gained so much courage and insight from you, Lisa and Durga and the others. I am the quiet type, I guess…Except when something just HAS to be said, and I know that is today. I too, have lost hope within the context of the overwhelming and constant pain of this disease…and it is so easy to lose perspective. I know that things seem so bleak and dark right now, but it will get better. Please, please, please…remember and try to focus at least a little bit every day on some GOOD thing in your life. If it is hard to think of them, I can help you…Sara loves you…enough to help you set boundaries, and stick by you through difficult times… You are a wonderful, loving and caring spirit - willing to reach out and help others by sharing some sensitive, risky sides of yourself (at times enduring judgement in your effort to support)

Most of all, I want you to know you have been created by a loving God that wants you to live…because He lives to love you…just like you are, no changes or improvements or alterations required. I believe He has placed each of us together (imagine, we would have never even KNOWN about each other…BUT…and how much has this group help each one of us?) Everyone who is here needs to be here, to HEAR just the right encouragement at the right time.

Our group would not be the same without you, just as you are. So please, feel our love and prayers and thoughts if prayer is not your thing.

As to your question about what do we each do when we get down to make ourselves feel better? I too, hole up and wait too long to get medical attention. Wrestling through those issues with my therapist…I have HUGE trust issues with physicians, and have been going thru some major issues with my PCP and GI…may be changing one or both of them soon. All the aggravation and stress of that and the process of that decision making keeps me from sleeping lots of nights. Anyway, I better shorten this story…LOL…when I feel better, and am working, I combat my fears of another flare up and justify my anxiety by “retail therapy.” I spend a lot of my paycheck, sometimes use a credit card (justifying it by saying I’ll pay it off on payday…but of course, payday is another excuse to buy something else if I’m well enough.) I will spend the same money 2 or 3 times if my anxiety is high or I am feeling especially sorry for myself. I have stayed off the internet for shopping, fortunately! Too hard to send things back if they don’t fit! This has also been a stressful time as my daughter is getting married in two weeks, and I am afraid I will wear out or get sick before the big day from all the stress of family, planning, etc. My husband & mom are supportive, but I do fear I will run my poor hubby into the ground with all the medical bills and my shopping…(for the kids, school supplies, my classroom, clothes, wedding stuff…whatever I can justify.
All this to say, Anyse my dear, you are not alone, not by a long shot. There are too many of us standing with you to imagine…Actually, I want you to close your eyes, and imagine All of us, holding your hand, standing by you, behind you…giving you strength and support…loving you through this hard time. Turn your face to the sunshine, you are strong and you can make it.

Susan in Indiana

Anyse,

Aaaargh…I was just re-reading my post, and I am sorry if I sound bossy or insensitive. I guess I can be a little too direct at times. Ummmmm, would you please add in a lot of pleases…and could you (please) turn the whole thing into a supportive suggestion instead of a DEMAND? LOL

I guess I must tend toward “tough love.” LOL I hope you understand I really do care about you!

susan in Indiana
(obviously, DIRECTNESS is not something i struggle with LOL)

Dear Anyse,

First, I’m apologizing that I said I would try to call you back today, but I just got back home and am having a really hard time and just need to write a little and then hide and cry and engage some resources myself. I do promise I will try to call tomorrow-- my appointments should end by the late afternoon.

That being said, I just was checking email and saw your reply here-- so here’s my response to you, in turn. We can hopefully talk more about this tomorrow, too.

While, as always, I’m sorry when I hear someone is doing badly (and I’m in the middle of it myself, so I surely can empathize-- it’s about as bad as it’s ever been right now, and I’m just struggling to do anything other than return to a hospital for medical guesswork and short-term pain management-- although I will likely be back on TPN through my port and have more MRCPs and tests to still have this week; this is all assuming I don’t actually black out again from pain that’s too out of control)… well, I always feel for them. I wish from the bottom of my heart and with every ounce of my being that I could take it away from them and help to make them better and be free of the CP forever. I know it’s just a wish, and I hate feeling like there’s not much more I can do to take the pain away (both physical and emotional-- I personally think aside from the pain and dietary stuff and nausea and a life taken over by a disease, the losses we experience as a result can be so very difficult). After 16 hospital stays and 15 surgeries in the past 18 months, I can also empathize with not wanting to be readmitted… I get that sometimes it’s a must for survival, but not one we want to face if we don’t absolutely have to. Especially with all the problems we usually encounter getting treated.

Here’s the ‘reality’ the way I see it: CP pain is the worst. Nobody seems to have a great understanding of this disease, let alone how to end the CP. But in that journey, there’s never a need to end your life. I spent years of my life from the time I was 15 and almost killed by a drunk driver and left with multiple physical pains and limitations that are still ongoing at almost 44 years of age until I was about 29 years old (I had to leave a dysfunctional and abusive home by the time I was 16 and have been on my own since)-- very suicidal. There wasn’t a day from ages 16-29 that I wasn’t suicidal. My leaving home was the beginning of my survival, and I’ve never stopped. It’s been a hard life in many ways (also having a spinal injury from an Air Force injury and too many other serious diagnoses that have been there before the CP that are, in general, ‘disabling,’ but I never let them be). Additionally, I’ve lost dear friends to suicide, stopped others in the act (including two that led me to be covered in their blood and taking them to the hospital), and can only try to tell you what a terrible loss any life is. Life is full of complications, horrible things like CP, and enough tragedy that kills people-- and I wish I could find the right words to convey to you that as helpless and hopeless as you likely feel from the CP and all you’ve personally faced in your life, that you are still a wonderful, special, and deserving person-- and that if you took your life you would leave so much hurt and sadness in others. While depression and even suicidal feelings are a normal reaction to a chronic illness and chronic pain-- especially when there seems to be no end in sight-- suicide is still an act of anger and even selfishness. I don’t say that lightly, and never could understand that when I had those feelings all those years… but now having turned things around (other than the CP and medical stuff, unfortunately), I can clearly see how much harm I would have done and caused, and that while I would have stopped my life, I wouldn’t have really resolved anything at all–although I would have caused so much ‘bad’ that I could never have taken back. It’s been a long time since I’ve been depressed or suicidal, and while it might seem like an ‘easy’ out, it’s just not-- and it shouldn’t be seen as an option. I’ve read Final Exit (which I know you’ve mentioned several times), and in the end, I hope I can share with you some of how I make it through each day, often a day or minute at a time, and stay happy and grounded and focused-- as incredibly tough as some days get. And I’m writing this openly here rather than through a private note back, in case someone else may be experiencing suicidal thoughts and plans like you are and may benefit, too.

Every day… every single day… and even more when you’re feeling like “leaving this life,” I’d suggest you do the opposite. It might seem impossible, but find something silly to laugh or smile at or about. Find it, search for it, and then be grateful for it. It could be something on TV or in a movie or a book… or it could be just taking a breath outside and seeing a really pretty flower or sunset-- it doesn’t matter what it is, but find something every day that’s positive or going right. Even when it seems that everything is going wrong and badly, you can always find one small thing that’s going right-- from having a special family member or friend or pet in your life… to focusing on one thing about your body that’s not wrong or hurting… or just a privilege you have or something you own that you might not have thought that way about before. It doesn’t matter what it is, but find something or someone to hang onto every single day you have those thoughts-- and commit to just not doing it- one day after the other.

Suicide is a choice-- we all can make that choice, but it’s not a good one and it really will make the world a worse place, not a better one-- and the pain will still be there-- and for others to live with forever. It’s a very unfair thing to do to yourself-- and even when you feel like every thing else ‘bad’ is happening ‘to’ you-- you can still take charge and empower yourself to make a different decision. It puts you back in control, but in a positive way with a positive outcome.

If you need help, or need more or a different kind of help than you’ve been getting for your spending or depression, please… please seek out that help. Be proactive and you’ll start being proud of who you are and all that you’ve learned to survive. Crying is okay-- and laughing is okay-- and when you share those feelings you won’t be alone with the whole thing anymore. Try sharing those feelings-- especially the saddest and most scary ones-- with someone close to you or someone you trust. Don’t hide, please-- it will just isolate you more.

To answer your question, I don’t have any bad habits I do when I’m feeling down: Instead, I seek out my support system, talk it out, get out and breathe in some sunshine-- and if I could get feeling better, I’d engage in something physically active that would naturally release some endorphins and help me to feel better-- even for a while. I think when I’m the most down is when I find something soft to hold and squeeze or work all day if I have to to make sure I laugh or smile before I go to sleep for the night-- no matter what-- even in the hospital. That’s my honest answer. I’m far from perfect, but I refuse to go back to where I was decades ago: It’s a “been there, done that” kind of thing. I learned a lot through survival and never see myself as a victim of anything.

Anyse-- I’ll support you in anything you need, but not in your suicidal plans. I do appreciate your honesty and what you’ve shared about this before as well, as I think that’s how you start to get through it… but that may be the answer as well: You have to go ‘through’ it. If you try to go around it, you might continue to feel desperate and like your choices are limited and that ending your life is a viable option. I don’t see it that way, and never will… and I can’t support you in that. Don’t hide-- and smile and laugh whenever you can as a reminder that not everything is as bad as it often seems.

Well, so that’s now my longest response ever, but you’re surely worth it. My turn to go take meds and lay back down-- and please know that I’m with you, not against you in any way. I just want to see you continue to live and find the solutions that are still out there. I’m sending prayers, love, hugs, and friendship-- and I hope you can embrace at least some of them.

Please take care of yourself, take a deep breath, and pat yourself on the shoulder tonight or give yourself a big hug, too-- You deserve it as well as some pain relief and better health.

All the best,

Lisa

Hi, Durga–

You’ve been very much on my mind and I’m finally getting back online it seems.

I hope your trip is going better than in the beginning and that you’re having a great visit with your family.

I’m worried that we haven’t heard more-- I sure hope it’s a good sign that you’re just relaxing or busy with your family.

I’m sending you many hugs and everything good-- I’m always there for you.

Lisa