Alternative to Miralax?

My son is 18 mon. old (born w/ HD; had pull-thru at 2 weeks old). He’s on Miralax but I’m interested in alternative. Has anyone tried Baby’s “Jarro-Dophilus” by Jarrow Formula? I learned from a pharmacist that this is a blend of several scientifically documented strains of beneficial bacteria that are particularly good for babies, plus Inulin/FOS which is FructoOligoSaccharides. The product is designed to encourage the growth of beneficial flora in the baby’s intestines.

I know FOS is commonly given to babies (non HD) to ease constipation in some countries.

Thanks in advancce for any info-

Will’s Mom

I swear by digestive enzymes. You’d have to do a small amount but could put
it in your baby’s juice. You can find digestive enzymes at any health food
store. Your mainstream medical doctor will know nothing about them probably
which is ashame! Check it out!

Helen

on 2/15/08 4:10 PM, Mayo at hirschsprungs-cpt7809@lists.careplace.com wrote:

my son has been on Miralax for 4 yrs before we got the HD diagnosis. I have to say I hate the stuff and I am glad we are finally off of it. I too would prefer a more natural way. We haven’t had the pull thru yet so I don’t know if things will change but what has worked for him is eatting a variety of foods (fruit, veggies, peanut butter) and a natural lax called Potty Helper which has herbs like Yellowduck root and Licorce root. That has worked extremely well and so far I have not had to give it more than a few times over a few day period.

Other laxes that work for him are Ex Lax, Little Tummies or any product containing Senna Leaf in it.

I do have some stuff simular to what you are talking about but I haven’t given it yet. I use to give it before the HD dx and it did nothing for him but then again Miralax and other OTC laxes did nothing then either.

It is all trial and error unfortunately. Hopefully I gave you some more natural ways to try.

Janel