Dialatation

Hi all. I am new here but have been suffering with achalasia for the past 30 years. I was first diagnosed with it when I was 17 and had Heller’s operation back in 1984 (the good old section on the side of my chest). Since then I have had several endoscopies and a couple of dilatations etc. I have managed to live with it and reduce the amount of ant-acid medication to as and when the pain is severe. However, my recent endoscopy has shown that my esophagus has a permanent dilatation at the lower end and some disphagia etc. My new consultant mentioned that I should expect deterioration of the condition over the next few years and perhaps my esophagus may have to be removed etc. I am getting very concerned about all this. Anyone with any experience on this?
Thanks.

Hi Halan,

Your Doctor is right. Things may progress quickly. I had my first myotomy in 1999 an open myotomy in July of 2007 that lasted 10 months had a dialatation which left me unable to eat was on a nasal feeding tube had my “e” removed July 7th of this year I am doing great I am 2 months post op and hope to return to work in October. This is how it was for me but not everyone has the same experience with this.

I wish someone could have told me how quickly things change I was in Italy in April I was fine when I got back I would cough and food would come up I could get by for a little while than like nothing I could no longer eat without pain sometimes when the dilitation works the upper “e” maybe the problem my dilitation worked they said it was open but my upper “E” was not working at all and very distended thats where my problem was.

I am not telling you this to frighten you but hopefully help you out in making your decisions. Also remember we all have the same disease but it is different for everyone. I hope my story helped you out.

Hope you are doing better soon.

Good Luck
Tricia