I need information about Pneumatic Dilation and Surgical

I need information about Pneumatic Dilation and Surgical Myotomy - the pro and cons re: which method is best for a senior citizen (age 75).

Hello,

For as far as I have understood untill now, Botox could do the trick for you.
Of course surgery can do as well, but why not first give the Botox a try?

I am quite young still (33y) and have already had 2 myotomies and I am facing my 3rd next year. In the meantime I have had my first Botox treatment April 23 last and it was a honeymoon to me! The benefits didn’t last very long (about 4 weeks), but it was such great time for me. I’m going on a honeymoon Juli 2 again!!!

The period one benefits from Botox differs for everyone, one can have benefits for over 12 months, whereas others only benefit about 2 months.

Botox doesn’t harm you (but surgery doesn’t either in the long term).

Should you decide to go for surgery, please do find yourself the very best surgeon!!!

Wishing you strength with making your decision.

Isabella

//I need information about Pneumatic Dilation and Surgical Myotomy...//

In general surgery is said to be the best bet when young. As you age it becomes less clear which is best. In general surgery is claimed to have a little better success rate than dilation. However, dilation works better for the elderly than it does for the young. Dilatation costs a fraction of what surgery does and the recovery is very quick, generally done as an out patient procedure and back to normal routine the next day. You can try the dilatation and have surgery later.

Both carry some risk and you could end up with an extended hospital stay if either goes wrong, which is not common, but something to know.

If you have not looked at the information under Learn, take a look at the Treatment topics of Heller's myotomy and Pneumatic Dilatation for Achalasia.

notan

There is not an easy answer to your question as regards age.
My GP says that age is not a real factor in surgery
anymore, but the health of the patient. In other words,
if you are in good health there is no reason not to have the
surgery.

While some people have very good success with Botox it is
a short term solution at the best. When I was first diagnosed
I had two Botox shots 30 days apart. Neither help me.
By the Way, I am 77 years old. I then chose to have a
dilatation. It lasted 3 1/2 years and I had my second 2 years
ago and am doing okay right now.

The problem most people find with dilatations is the risk of
perforations. The risk is 3 to 5 percent. While that is low,
if the perforation should occur you would have to immediately
go into surgery.

There are recent reports that Botox and dilatations can make
the surgery more difficult.

Maggie