Medical ID Bracelet for Achalasia

Does anyone have a medical ID bracelet for achalasia? If so what do you have written on it.

Tricia

Hi Tricia:

I had the same question! Julie from the yahoo site actually answered it for me.
Her’s reads: Myotomy w/ part. Wrap “No NG Tube"
Mine reads virtually the same except it’s preceded with Achalasia.

Hope this helps,
Lis

That should be Heller myotomy, not just myotomy. A myotomy is an incision in muscle. There are lots of muscles that you could do a myotomy on. A Heller myotomy is a specific incision in specific muscles, the muscles of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES).

notan

Thank you all for your help. I asked many emts in Boston MA if they even knew what achalasia was not one knew. So I was wondering if an ID bracelet made a difference or not, if no one knew what achalasia was.

Once you have a wrap you can never get an NG tube if needed? I didn’t know that. I am a paramedic, also with achalasia, and didn’t know that there was a risk with that. I have not had to have the heller myotomy yet. I have had two dilations in the past month with little relief though. I am also like others on here being treated at the Cleveland Clinic.

The statement about the NG tube on the bracelet may be particular to that person. I doubt this is true in general. While achalasia is rare fundoplications are not. There are things that may be risks factors for perforation that can develop with achalasia. Diverticula, strictures, and a tortuous esophagus. A fundoplication could be considered a man made stricture and care should be taken, especially if the wrap has failed and become tight and the LES is also tight. but I don’t see anywhere that says in all cases no NG tubes allowed. These are just my thoughts and you should probably check with a doctor.

notan

I was confused about the no ng tube because I had a redo heller myotomy and the existing wrap was okay but I had a ng tube while I was in the hospital and they just put a sign above my hospital not to flush it.

I was ok with ng tubes up until last summer. I developed a stricture which necessitated a dilation. Since I seem prone to strictures I opted to add the no ng tube on my id bracelet as well.

But you should ask your doctor because you might be ok with an ng tube.
Glad I dont have to add more to the bracelet. I was running out of room.

-Lis

sorry I missed out on this one, Cameron has a really cool chain and dog tag like necklace we had made. It says, Achalasia, Heller Myo/ Dor Fundo and then it has surgeon Dr. Farmer and Dr. Patti’s number and UCSF for emergency and our home number.

My dad has achalasia. I’d like to get him a med id. He won’t do it on his own. Where can I get one?