Pancreatitis Member Introductions

I am 60 years old and have had Chronic Pancreatitis for 7 years! I have had 2 acute attacks. My G.E. did a total of 4 different stents and they worked for a short time but then the pain returned. He sent me to a surgeon for a Whipple when nothing else could be done by him. This was the best thing that ever happened. The surgeon told me that the head of pancreas had already started necrotizing and that I had about 1 week of life left. I have never drunk alcohol. I am in that small percent that it is the immune system attacking it’s own body. I am doing so well now with only 4 small attacks since the surgery one year ago. I am finely tuned to what is happening and when twinges start up, I fast and have only clear liquids. The surgeon has told me to expect to have to have the rest of the pancreas removed down the road because my body is still attacking itself. That very well may happen but my God knows the path for me so I am not worried. I am so grateful for the chance to enjoy life at this point! I have lost nearly 70 pounds, which was needed, and I am loving life. I never realized how bad I felt and how sick I really was.
Patti

I am 37 years old, and I have been struggling with chronic pancreatitis for over a year. Last year alone I was hospitialized 14 times, and this year I have already had 5 times. I have been through many tests and now sport a lovely feeding tube (j-tube). The sad thing is I am no better now than I was when this whole ordeal began. I have discovered that this is a hurry up and wait disease, and doctors have limited knowledge on this and pass the buck to the next doctor. I continue to lose weight, nausea is intense, lack of energy, I cannot work cause of the constant/nagging pain. I am a teacher and only worked 3 weeks this last academic year, and will not be able to go back this next year. I am so happy to have found this support group, because I feel like I am alone in this and no one really knows this personal hell unless you are going through it yourself. I look forward to talking with you all~

I’m 45, just diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis this year but undoubtedly suffering from it for years. I had a surgery to cut lesions that were thought to be the cause of my problems, but likely were another symptom. In April an endoscopic ultrasound showed my pancreas to be stripped with scarring. I would guess I have it better than many, but still feel lousy a good part of the time.

I did a lot of research on my own over the last several months, and ended up collecting the best of what I found in my own blog. If you’re curious, it is at www.pancreatitishelp.org. Not meant to take the place of a forum, just a collection of the research I found helpful. I welcome suggestions & contributors. I hope to be able to contribute here as well.

EricG

On March 20, 2007, I underwent a total pancreatomy with islet cell transplant at the University of Cincinnati. I have the rare condition of hereditary pancreatitis. I was diagnosed when I was 15 years old and confirmed (through genetic testing) in 2000.

Additionally, my wife and I have gone through preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) and in-vetro to ensure our children (my wife is currently pregnant with twins) will NEVER have this horrible disease.

Thanks be to God for these wonderful technologies!

Hi. I just found this forum. A couple weeks ago I got home after several days in the hospital with a cute pancreatitis. I’ve looked through this site, but I don’t see any recent posts. Is this still an active forum?