Pancreatitis Member Introductions

Hello Patti,

I was so happy to see your email :slight_smile: I have been suffering for about 3 1/2 yrs. and about done with it…I have been down for about a week now with the pain. I was informed that i had pancreas disease when i ended up in the hosp. and then a yr. later was told i have cirrhosis of the liver darn the luck, thank god for sites like these because as much as our families tell us they understand i don’t think they really do…Please email me again as i look forward to receiving these emails. Good Luck and have a wonderful day…

Thanks Barb

Hello my name is Barb, and I live in NE, and I will tell you that i see a gastro doc. and also my family doctor who work together very well, I have been dealing with this for 3 1/2 years and somedays just want to give up, my daughter and husband try really hard to understand the pain and depression of all of it, but sometimes i don’t think they do, I would maybe try and see a gastro. doctor and let him know all of your symptoms and maybe he will have some insite for you? My gastro. doc. gave me a pill to stop the spasm in the colon and it does ease the pain some, but not completely, but i will do anything to ease the pain a little-:slight_smile: I am 43 and have been dealing with this for at least 10 years that i know of, but was told i had pancreas and liver disease when i ended up in ER, plus a 29 day hosp. stay. I hope this info. has gave you some hope…I look forward to hearing from you…Thanks for the email…

Barb

champ ,  I am sorry your daughter has this . She has been through alot for her age. I agree not everyone understands which is had when they see you up and around they think all is well when things aren’t good. After 14 months my husband is just getting to understand that the things he buys at the grocery store I can’t eat so he is having to find other things that I can eat. Kathie

Hi I was wondering have had problems with pain meds giving you severe constipation and how did you deal with it. I get upset because i have to take pain meds at time i have to take narcotics and then my intestines goes on shut down. How do you deal with it?                                                                 kathie

I had and still sometimes have the same problem. My doc suggested Milk of Magnesia, but I got really sick from that. My grandmother,who’s on pain meds all the time, suggested these Vegetable Laxatives that they sell at CVS. They work great for me, though the bottle says it’ll work in 6 hours, for me it’s more like 12. But they’re really gentle.

Hope it helps!
-kim

My daughter has had problems w/ constipation since almost day one. When she takes her pain meds, they constipate her. She is 11 now. I wonder, can you tell the difference from pancreatic pain and the constipation pain? We are wondering if she cannot tell the difference. Sometimes she is in so much pain and will not take the morphine. Well, we just returned from Rochester and alot of tests later, (Colonoscopy, biopsies of the stomach, colon and whatever else,-found out she is not allergic to any foods and then had a Cat scan. They could not find anything until they got to the cat scan. Her pancreatic duct is at a 6.6 in diameter right now. Alot of scar tissue and hardening of the head. She has had 2 other sets of stents already and they want to do anouther ERCP on her on May 3rd. If they feel that stents are no longer able to work, they will do the FREY proceedure (Like the Puestow, but a little different I guess) if she is still having alot of problems. This disease is an ongoing affair and I thank GOD that this website is out there now. Sometimes as a caregiver to someone with this is maddening, because you just do not know what to do sometimes.My ex and my daughter live with this each and every day and hate to see them in so much pain. Others do not understand, no matter how much you try to explain this to them. Thank you everyone!! I may have even talked my ex in to joining this Forum.

champ ,  I am sorry your daughter has this . She has been through alot for her age. I agree not everyone understands which is had when they see you up and around they think all is well when things aren’t good. After 14 months my husband is just getting to understand that the things he buys at the grocery store I can’t eat so he is having to find other things that I can eat. Kathie

Diagnosed with idiopathic acute pancreatitis due to microtheliasis after two episodes of mile acute pancreatitis over the past eight months. No ECRP; diagnosis from blood tests and clean dye-contrast tests. Younger sister died unexpectedly two years ago: autopsy revealed pancreatitis / gastritis. Headed for gall bladder removal next month. Will appreciate all advice. Thank you.

I have been dealing with bile duck narrowing and pancreatitis for one and a half years and need someone to talk to that is going through the same thing.

Im 45 year old single guy that has been sticken with this issue since having a sub-total colectomy. Been dealing now for two years and looking for friends and helpful advice on dealing with this issue.

My 24 year old son has had Chronic Pancreatitis for the last 2 years without having diabetes at all. He is in continual pain and has problems digesting food especially beef. I would like to learn more about this disease and options for relieving the pain and reducing the hospital trips.

Hi gorykc ,

I know it is hard when dealing with this. I am willing to listen we all need people to talk to, if I can be a help let me know I am new to this myself 14 months of this I find frustrating . I find it is hard to enjoy food because I m not sure what is going to give me pain or make me feel naseaus.

hugs   Kathie

I have pancreatitis

I have been living with chronic pancrestitis, (Idiopathic origin,) for about 7 years! More later

Hello,

I’m glad you are feeling some better.  I have suffered with pancreatitis for the past 13 years.  I had a mass in my pancreas.  It was benign, but I have had many ERCP’s and stincts and many many stays in the hospital.  I teach school, and praise the Lord they have been very understanding with my absentences.  They are many days I do not feel like going on, but some how I seem to make it.  I have been hospitalized only three times this school year.  This is actually good compared to the eight times last school year.  The removed 40% of my pancreas which was the tail and my spleen.  I can be feeling wonderful and in just a matter of a few minutes I can get so ill and have to go to the hospital.  Sometimes I can treat it at home. 

Thanks,
RB

Hi, I’ve had so many recurring pancreatitis episodes since 2001 - not cancer - but if I remove it, will everything be back to normal? I’m tired of getting sick. It is progressing more every year & I lost the best job because of my last attack. I had 4 last year.

Love & hugs to everyone with this terrible disorder. I know the pain. I feel like I’m getting closer to heaven or hell with each new attack. I want to live, I have a 22 year old son.

free.
rcb

I have chronic pancreatitis. I got it from an ercp 4 years ago. The doctor was looking for a gallstone in my common bile duct and slipped and nicked my pancreas. At first I had acute pancreatitis, but over time it has turned chronic. I have had two more ercps, ct scans, and now I give myself two shots a day of sandostatin. I am also on very strong pain medicine. It would be great to hear from others who have any suggestions for what else I can do. I know there are people who have had their pancreas removed, but I don’t know how bad I need to get before I make that serious move. It would be great to hear how others are dealing with this painful illness. Thanks.

Hi my name is Barb, and I have CP and have talk to many doctors/Mayo clinic about removal of the pancreas, and they have all told me that the pain will never go away so there was no reason to remove it. Also I have noticed that everytime i have these attacks they are worse and last much longer then the ones before :frowning: i am sorry to be that bear of bad news :frowning: Also I have a almost 22yr old daughter and sometimes wonder if I will be around to see her get married and have children??? I feel your PAIN, thinking of you and praying for you…

Barb :slight_smile:

Oh my, i just went to the doctor today and had blood drawn and my platelets have dropped to a very low and unhealthy level 26,000 normal is 120,000 to 140,000 i have an ultra sound done in the morning to see if my spleen is enlarged and is the cause of my platelets dropping. this is interesting information, did you have low platelets as well? please let me know, i look forward to hearing from you…

Barb :slight_smile:

I am living with hereditary pancreatitis (mine is chronic) and care for two children who also carry the gene. One child has bouts of acute attacks with some degree of intermittent pain, the other has chronic type issues. My mother, sister and nephew also suffer with this disease.