Pregnant with Achalasia

I am currently pregnant with my second child.  With both pregnancies I have had major issues with aspiration which causes me to be up most of every night.  I don’t think my coughing has any direct affect on the baby; however I am losing a lot of sleep, my lungs hurt, and I have had a respiratory infection for 2 weeks now (this is unusual for me) which I’m sure is perpetuated by the aspiration.  I sleep with a wedge pillow and I’m careful to not eat too late.  Does anyone have any other tips for managing the aspiration.  The aspiration seems to be a problem ever since having the Heller Myotomy and has been exacerbated quite a bit by the pregnancy.

Jenny -

One of the best things for me is - When I eat, to sit in a straight backed chair and to sit up as straight as possible after eating for at least 1-2 hours.  Especially after a meal with meat or anything "heavy".  I too suffered this problem when I was pregnant and actually had to sleep in a recliner for the last 2 months of my pregnancy.  Not the best arrangement - but much better for my health at the time. 

Good Luck!

Hi Jenny - I'm with Barb on this one. With both of my pregnancies I slept in a recliner for the last couple of months. It was also more comfortable for my hips to sleep that way.

I have a wedge under my mattress also but I just seemed to not get propped up enough when I was at the end. Something else you may try is to put risers under the head of your bed instead of using a wedge.

The only good thing is that once the baby is born, you'll feel a whole lot better - swallowing anyway!! :)

Good luck and take care!

-Michelle

Thanks for the recliner tip.  I have tried it once now and it does seem to help though I’m going to have to get used to the sleeping position (I’m a side sleeper and I like to curl.)  Thanks again… I think this might just help me get through the next 4 1/2 months.