Transhiatal esophagectomy

Hi,

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out when I had to decide whether to have a Transhiatal esophagectomy or not. Well I had the Transhiatal esophagectomy on July 7th, I am doing great I am eating small amounts. I am no longer using my feeding tube which I hope to get out next week. For the first time in 10 years I can now sleep on my side and I only have to stay up right for an hour after I eat instead of 3. I do sleep slightly elevated but if I don’t I do not seem to have a problem.

The surgery was major and a lot to go through actually life changing. I cannot believe I feel this good this soon.

So I guess I do not have achalasia anymore but I am willing to help any one out no matter which stage of achalasia they are in. It has certainly helped me out more than anyone could know.

Thanks again for all your help and care and concern

God Bless

Tricia

1 Like

Hi @pwalsh171

I am new to careplace and don’t even know how to get around the site. I am facing an esophajectomy and wanted to ask you some questions.

Rich

I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
Feel free to email me at pwalsh17@aol.com. Or post questions through this forum that way maybe the questions you ask may help other people out on this site too.

Tricia

Ok thanks. I don’t know where to start. Where did you have the surgery done? Were there other options you were considering? I don’t know of any other options once you are no longer a candidate for a myotomy. Had you had a myotomy?
Rich

Rich,

I had my surgery done at the Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston Massachuesetts the esophajectomy was done by a two surgeons one was a GI surgeon and the other a Thoracic Surgeon.

I had my first myotomy in 1999. I had a redo in July of 2007 which was open and they suggested the esophajectomy back then but wanted to try the redo first which lasted ten months.

In 2008 I really had no choice whether or not to have the esophajectomy because I was unable to eat on my own and had a nasal feeding tube. The esophajectomy was the only option I had left. I am so glad I did it I have a whole new life now.

Tricia