Twisted bowel that flips over

My son had his pull through at 3 weeks of age. After that we had many return vistis to the hospital all of which ended with the iv antibiotic treatments irrigations and stims and then sent back home. xmas he got an illeostomy and the 12th of august it was closed only to have him get sick all over again. So Aug 22 they opened him up and found a 180 degree twist with a bowel that flips over to close itself off. My doctor has said she has never seen a bowel that did that before. Has anyone else ever experienced either one of these issues before. He now has a colostomy in place as a result of this.

Oh my goodness. I have never heard of that, scary. I feel like we are in th eclear w/ Max, but this gives me a worry. of course it’s good to know this can happen so if he starts to become ill I can ask for this to be checked.

you said surgery at 3 wks and then they found the problem on aug 22, how many months old was your son when they found the flip?

We have just found out that the reason his bowel was flipping over was that the bowel was not attached to anything to keep in place. It is a very rare thing to happen. Our surgeon has been asking other people for about a year now to find out what was wrong. She just found one other. The child is five or six now and they had to resection a large part of his colon because it wasn’t anchored and the same thing was happening. I’m glad they finally figured it out b/c he was always sick with obstructions. Maybe now we can move forward and maybe this will help another child some day.