Vomiting and Achalasia

My mother has achalasia and has had a dialation done 3 times. The swallowing of food is fine since then, but every 3 to 4 days she can keep no food down and vomits constantly for hours. Does anyone have any advice?

Kathrin,

It sounds like to me that the food is stuck in her esophagus and has no where to go but up and out. Does she cough? You want to make sure the food does not get into her lungs. Maybe she should give her doctor call.

Tricia

This has been going on for 2 years. The doctors don’t know why this is happening. She uses medicine to prevent nausiness. I don’t think the food is stuck, because the vomiting sometimes starts hours after she has eaten.

Kathrin,

I have had achalasia for ten years and I am just speaking from my experience my food stayed in my esophagus for more than 16 hours and when I had my surgery I was on liquids for 3 days prior because my food was known to get stuck. And if it got to my stomach my stomach would not empty properly so I had to take meds to make it empty. And sometimes muscle relaxers just to be able to eat.

I hope your Mom is doing better soon.

Tricia