Almost 4 yr old daugher severe constipation

He had a negative rectal biopsy twice and it was because they did not go high enough up to get a tissue sample. Basically everybody has Hirschsprung’s at the bottom because in everyone there are no cells at the very bottom of the rectum…so you need to go a bit higher up in the colon for a tissue sample and that is something only a surgeon can do. It is called a full thickness biopsy.

she is such a cutie. She looks just like you

Janel

Hi there,
In response to your comment, Connor was finally diagnosed by both the barium x-ray and the biopsy results. The results were that he was severely impacted all the way through his intestine and the biopsy revealed the “dead”(this is how the Dr. termed it) ganglion cells in his intestine. Basically the impaction had filled him up to the point where there was nomore room in his stomach and he would vomit everything out of his stomach and diarrhea non-stop.

Connor’s HD is a short segment, but because we had gone so long without being diagnosed it escalated to severe dehydration and severe impaction. He would be constipated for about 8-10 days straight and when he finally “exploded” it was anywhere from 15-20 diapers changes over the course of 2 days. His stool wasn’t rock hard like he was constipated but more diarrhea. The Dr. said this was kind of like an overflow of stool because his instestines couldn’t get rid of the blockage.

We always noticed that he had an abnormally large belly, but we didn’t think it was really a problem. Our family doctor brushed it off until I finally told him enough is enough this is not right. He originally sent ous for allergy tests and when all those came back negative the allergist referred us to a gastroentologist (sp?) because his tummy didn’t sound right. And from there is how we ended up to today recovering from his pull-through.

But I wish you the best of luck with your little one, she is absolutely adorable and if you have any questions just email me at lstm237@yahoo.ca and I will do what I can to answer your questions.

Lisa

Lisa when was connor dx’d?

He was diagnosed June 7th of this year. The doctor didn’t want to waste anymore time than we needed so that it wouldnt interrupt family life at home with my oldest heading back to school and Connor ready to start potty training.