Arthritis(RA) in the Shoulders?

I have severe pain in my shoulders. I have difficulty lifting my arms, and them putting them back at my side. I also have trouble moving my arms side to side. It feels like I can not lift my arms, because my shoulders lock? I have has Physical Therapy, and the condition has gotten worse. I take Enbrel and Methotrexate. I use ice packs on my shoulders for the swelling and sharp pain. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this, and what they are doing for treatment, and pain management? Please Help!!

Thanks everyone. You all gave me the courage to try the icepacks. I like the idea of the pills better than the shots since my flares are usually multi-joints too. I say it again, this is a great website – people are always so quick to respond with good advice and personal testimonies. Thanks again. Cynthia

Hi, I also have severe shoulder flareups and when they are really bad I get prednizone shots in the shoulders as long as you only do this when the pain is very severe the prednizone shouldn’t cause a problem and it does really help! Therapy always makes me feel worse as well as ice packs, heat works for me.

Hi: I was diagnosed with moderate to severe RA about a year and a half ago and just started having shoulder problems too so thanks for posting this. I take Plaquenil and Enbrel which have been helping me to some degree but the shoulder pain is a new thing–unfortunately. I’ve been trying heat but it hasn’t really helped and I was wondering about prednisone shots but am afraid of long term effects too. I haven’t tried the ice packs since I don’t like cold and was wondering if any one has any other suggestions and help with this. Thanks in advance and hang in there! Cynthia

The only thing that helps me is an ice bag with a wash cloth under it , you
will notice immediately results, it is not bad at all. been doing this for
years. Gene from n.c

**************************************See AOL’s top rated recipes
(http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)

I have flares in my shoulders all the time. It’s just like you describe it. It’s terrible. I can’t do the heat, it makes it worse. Icing helps some. Prednisone is the only thing that actually works. I told my RD, it’s like a miracle wrapped in little white pills! I would go for the shots, but when I flare, it’s usually in about 10 joints. I’m hoping since I just added Enbrel to my Plaquenil and Methotrexate that my flares will calm down.