Books on Chronic Pancreatitis?

Rob,

never feel like you ask too many questions, that is what this is all about, many times the questions you have others have too, and it is amazing the support and suggestions one gets here, I use to be more active, but all too often I just read emails and shake my head as at this point, 10 years it feels so bad to see so many suffering with this disease and I get sooo sad, we all seem to basically suffer in the same way and have the same symptoms and bottom line is the drs keep as comfortable as they can, but really does not seem at this point much to do for this disease accept comfort care, that is why we need each other so, I pray for all of you and think about you as I read each email,

blessings to all !
julie

Vonnie,

does the caffeine give you pain? I have always been a huge coffee drinker and just in the last year I cannot get it down and the pain and nausea become unreal, but thank goodness diet coke is just fine, actually I find it soothing to my stomach, years ago they used coke syrup I think for stomach aches, warren do you know about that?

julie

Hey Julie-

I haven’t been able to tolerate coffee for a long time either. I miss it so, especially on a cold Nebraska morning…

I only have acute recurring p. BUT, I am able to drink hot tea. Sometimes, if I have a completely empty stomach it will give me a little nausea, but usually if I share it with some apple juice (my personal cure all) then I am okay- no pain though. I just drink the plain jane lipton kind and find that if I drink it before it gets too cool, its the best. And, it gives me some caffeine greatness. I also am a diet coke junkie but have cut way back.

Amanda

Julie,
I have never been a big fan of coffee. It has never tasted good to me or settled well in my stomach. I do like tea, but since I’ve been told no caffeine I do decaf tea occasionally.

I do like herbal tea. Although sometimes it can make me feel nauseous. So my number one drink is water and lots of it. I also like Reeds gingerbrew gingerale. It is wonderful. I don’t do that very often. It is one of my special treats.

Anyway, I hope this finds you all better today than yesterday.

God Bless and Keep the Faith,

Vonnie

Vonnie,

You’re the best! :)- I have found that tea doesn’t seem to bother me. I am also able to drink Coke Zero on occasion as well. Herbal tea does not sit well with me- Trial and error- Sending a prayer and wishing you a happy and pain free day!

Jackie

Vonnie,

You mentioned Reeds Gingerbrew Gingerale, I drink gingerale with almost everything I eat…I am not sure if it actually helps me get food down sometimes or if it just a mental thing, but…I have never heard of this
kind. What state are you in, and do you get it a the grocery store or a health food store? I would love to try a new kind of gingerale, everything gets a bit boring after a while! Thank you for mentioning it, and thank you
for all the other info you share.

Take care, and have a quiet belly day. k

K,

When I am sick the Reeds Jamaican Gingerbrew is the best. You can find it in health food stores. It is also in my Safeway store in the healthfood section. I live in Colorado. If you want more information and where it is manufactured let me know and I will find out. You might be able to find it on the web.

I like the stuff when I am sick because I can keep it down, it takes sooooo gooood and it doesn’t seem to hurt so much as other things.

I think I need to go get some!! It has been so hot here that it sounds pretty good right now!!!

Vonnie

I am also new to CP, diagnosed in April. I haven’t been able to find good books, though helpful articles and some interesting research. I actually collected them on a blog in case anyone is interested: www.pancreatitishelp.org. Please contribute!

I am fighting my way through trying to figure out what I can eat. Right now the answer seems to be almost nothing. I tried gluten free since I’ve read that gluten can be very inflammatory…I’m curious if anyone has that experience. If carbs help, that seems to debunk that.

Julie

Cub Scout camp was great, other than 56 campers and staff memebers getting a GI bug and vomiting all night (I have never cleaned up so much vomit in my life). Luckily, I had my Zofran at hand so even if I got it, I had a cure all. Keeping active is my remedy for CP. It helps me forget how terrible I feel sometimes. I consider it mind over matter. If I allow myself to get down, then I really get down. I push myself but many times it makes my docs a bit upset with me. They feel I should slow down and let myself heal. To this point, I have been able to call my own shots but with my weight at 103, my options will be taken away from me, or so the docs say.

Hope all have pain free days and nights

Teresa

Thank you so much Vonnie! I really appreciate the info on gingerale. That sounds so silly to get excited about a new kind of gingerale. I will check my health food stores this weekend and let you know if I can find it here in
VA. Thank you so much for all the info you share with the group.

Have a quiet belly weekend and take care, kaye