Dercum's Disease Member Introductions

Hi, my name is Hilary, from Denver CO.

I have been suffering with Dercum’s Disease symptoms since I was 7. I just discovered DD on the internet 3 months ago and am anxiously awaiting a diagnosis.

I want to share with everyone what diet I am following and supplements I am taking that are helping me cope by reducing the inflammation . I hope that my experience will make yours easier and together we can beat it into submission or at least make it MORE manageable and LESS painful.

Connecting with others is our only resource for information since this disorder is so rare. This forum and others are a lifesaver.

Hugs all around! :slight_smile:

Was DXed with DD about 4 years ago. Have had it all my life.

Some things I have learned about DD:

It is probably genetic - usually passed from mother to daughter, extremely rare for a man to have it. First symptom is usually lack of stamina - tires easily - this normally starts in early childhood. Tolerates cold well. Ever hear of someone NOT losing their babyfat? Well that’s us! DD people have an unusual amount of babyfat (aka brownfat) The stuff that makes bears hibernate… the stuff that keeps newborns from having hyperthermia. The stuff that makes us feel like we are smoldering in the middle of winter!

Longbone pain. Feels like growing pains ‘cept we ain’t gettin’ any taller! Usually just wider!

Phantom pains. I call them my “extra-ordinary pain-of-the-month” because that’s about how often I get them - 4 to 6 weeks apart and usually lasts from 5 to 7 days. My two worst ones were what felt like severe cramps in my right leg, but the muscles were completely relaxed and a “tooth ache” that encompassed my whole face. Each lasted 7 days and then miraculously disappeared as quickly as they came.

And then, of course, ther are the tumors… lumps, bumps, flat pads, and rice. Thought to be brought on by stress. And of course the more tumors the more stress! I have them all and they are all painful as I’m sure you know.

I have to go now but will gladly share with anyone the info that I have gleaned. If you have questions or just want to talk… here I am!

Im new here too…I have not been diagnosed but due to some caring people advising me what to do I started doing research…I delved into family history too ands found out that my mother’s sister has them and my mothers’ father had them also…I have printed out so many articles that I may have a book by now…I thought that is all the better to show this Dr that I am NOT crazy.Another thing I have besides the lipomas and pain - I keep my 18 month old grandsom and every time he gets sick I get the same thing.I got strep throat in Janusry and the stomach flu a few months ago from him…I love the boy so much it hurts when I have to tell his momma do not bring him over when he is sick.This time he has rotavirus…

Hi,
My name is Judy and I was on very high doses of prednisone for almost 3 years. As I started to finally taper off the nasty drug, I found these strange lumps popping up. In April of this year, my GP dxed me with Dercum’s, only after I had found articles and researched the disease and gave him everything I could find. I am seeing a Pain Clinic doctor but he knew nothing about Dercum’s so I am educating him on it! I go to see Dr Herbst Jan 4th and can’t wait! Everyone thus far believes mine was caused from Prednisone.

I am 51, married and have 3 daughters and 7 grand kids, the 7th one born this past Friday! 6 boys and 1 girl! Almost enough for a football team! :>)

Judy

Hi Judy

Welcome to the group. I also had the DD come on after four weeks of Prednisone and two shots of Cortisone. It is hard to say whether this hastened or contributed the onset.

I am glad you will be seeing Dr. Herbst in January. I saw her earlier this month and will see my PCD tomarrow with hopes he will honor her recommendations.

I am 56 and live in upstate NY. I have two daughters and one grandson. My kids just refuse to multiply. LOL! Joan

Hi!
I’m in the Chicago area and have had Dercum’s since I turned 30 - 21 years ago. I use lidoderm patches and acupuncture, both which give me a lot of relief in the legs. I am also trying massages twice a week, but am starting to think it’s making it worse, or I’m in another growth spurt. I am in Dr. Herbst’s study. I’ve had numerous surgery’s. The aliens just keep multiplying.

Hi Roxy,

Welcome to the group! You will find the most caring and patient people here that are extremely supportive. I can say I am alway looking for anyone to talk to and compare symptoms with. I live in Michigan (Neighbors). You can look at my profile I am stonel under careplace. I love this site and its the only site I use. I have met some great people here. Please feel free to read about me and I look forward to hearing from you.

Linda

Hi…I just found this introduction area. I have been a member for awhile but still to introduce myself…I am 62 and have had DD for 40 years. I was only correctly diagnosed last year. I have steadily gotten worse every year. Now, I am just one big connection of lumps…big lumps, little lumps, hard lumps, squishy lumps…all are painful lumps. I also have all the other symptoms like IBS, Sjogren’s, migraines, depression and very painful feet. I have already benefited from this great Careplace! The people are all so kind and helpful. It was such a relief to find others to talk to with DD. I am working on finding out what drugs will help me and I will pass along anything that helps me. Research is the answer! We need research dollars. Hugs to All

Hi all, I just turned 40 last November, I have had lumps for 20 years but only recently got severe pain from them, I have quite a few other problems although not diagnosed as i just put every little ache, or odd thing down to me being obese. I became obese from 2001, up until then i was just overweight from having kids.

I live in the NE of england,
I hope to get answers soon, as my mind is really working overtime wondering what happens next, am i always going to be in pain, am i always going to be obese, i have been a member of slimming world for 2 years now and have only lost 1 stone.

thanks for reading, hopefully speak soon

Hi Geordielass,

You ask blunt questions! I feel bad trying to answer them, because the answers are not good. If you do have DD, you will only be able to lose any normal fat you have left, not the diseased fat. In my youth, I was able to lose weight but I was never able to get down to my ideal weight. (I have apparently had DD since early childhood) As I grew up, my weight increased and I could still lose some, but I found I was further and further above my ideal weight each time. Now I am 53 and morbidly obese. I could probably still lose a few pounds but I have given up dieting. I know that any fat I lose will eventually come back as DD fat, and I am just tired of staving myself to no avail.

The best you can do is try to eat a healthy diet so you will feel as well as possible.
Chances are, if you have DD, you will always have pain. In my case, the new lumps hurt more than the older ones, so some pains do ease over time. There are pain meds that can help if you can tolerate them.
You do sound like me in that you tend to ignore your aches and pains, or put them down to obesity. I did the same thing for many years, and sometimes I still do. I think the ability to ignore symptoms and pains make it easier for us to bear.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Pamela

Englewood, CO
Sex: M
Cond: Adiposis Dolorosa (Dercum’s Disease Type III)
Count: +50 Tumors (surgery 3-4 times a year)

Looking for a good doctor in Denver Colorado

Hello everyone. I too didn’t see the introductions. I have DD and we think it goes back 13 -16 years. I have twin boys and a fantastic husband who are wonderful supporters. I am here for anyone who needs a shoulder. Mine hurt from time to time but, G_d made them big enough for all. I am currently seeing my primary care doc, a dermatologist, an acupunturist (I love her, I feel so much better since I started going to her 2 weeks ago ), and I will be seeing Dr. Herbst in October. I am trying to work on public knowledge of this disease. I want to fight for us, the best that I can.

My name is Benjamin Rossington, and I am 28 years old.

I am here because I have not been able to find anyone similar to me. Am I that much of an oddity??

I have had tumors on my left arm since I was 16. They were not painful initially.

I have had tailbone pain my whole life. My temperature is normally 99degrees. My eyes have ‘floaters’ INSIDE the eye. I get terrible migraines of stabing pain behind each eye.

When I was 26, I awoke one day to several small painful lumps along my sides. A few months later, I finally managed to get county health insurance, which promptly did a biopsy. Shortly after the surgery, tumors bloomed all over my body (torso, legs, left arm only, along my spine, in my rear end).

A neurologist gave me a free sample of Lyrica… Thinking back, I probably would have commited suicide if i didn’t get those pills.

Vicodin does nothing for the pain. Advil? Don’t make me laugh… seriously, it hurts too much. Honestly, I have even had shots of morphine to help… they work for about 5 seconds.

Does anyone know if this is recognized as a ‘disability’ to the government? I am having a hell of a time getting in to see a doctor, as I no longer have the crummy county insurance.

I recently discovered that every single thing wrong with me has to do with this disease. My blood pressure spikes…

here’s a cut and paste of the list i am compiling (sorry for repeating myself)

My temperature is normally a little higher than a normal person’s; 99 degrees or so.

My tailbone is quite sore, for no apparent reason.

I have multiple floaters in my eyes. My vision can get blurry and clear up multiple times in a few minutes. On occasion, I will get such severe stabbing pains behind my eyes I think I will die.

I have frequent bouts of total confusion.

From surgery, the surgeon stated that he removed an angiolipoma, or an unencapsulated tumor. Dercums Disease type III is apparently what I have because of this.

I have always had stomach cramps and issues (IBS).

I grow tumors on my butt, upper arms, torso, thighs, and the soles of my feet.

My blood pressure does strange things, it will spike for no apparent reason (I see red clouds rolling with each heart beat.)

I have twitches for no apparent reason. My arms will twitch, my fingers twitch, my head… and the stranger of all, my stomach will twitch as if a snake is trying to dig out. The same sensation has happened inside my arms, neck, face, legs… nearly every part of my body has had this sensation. People near me can watch and see it happen. Even places where one would not expect it possible for muscles to move in that manner.

My back is likely to ‘go out’ for no reason. I do in fact have tumors along the sides of my spine.

I am extremely sensitive to heat. I find myself in extreme pain when overheated from only temperature. When overheated from activity, the pain is not pinpointed anymore. Cold can have the same effect; as a matter of fact, it doesn’t have to be ‘cold’ for me to feel cold. Generally speaking, however, I prefer being cold to hot.

If anyone can help me, please do. If anyone knows of someone else so young and a man with this, let me know… too many doctors told me I am crazy.

Hiya Ben and welcome to the wonderful world of DD. No seriously I am so sorry for you to be diagnosed so young, then again when I think back I also had it at 28 too. I just never had time to complain, and as i was steadily gaining weight, i just put it all down to that fact. I take a combination of pain meds and anti-depressants. I find they help most days. Other days I just sleep. There is an abundance of info on this site, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

geordielass.

thank you for the warm acceptance

um… how do i find stuff here? maybe I’m just having issues…but I feel dumb

how can I message someone? the layout is just a little confusing right now… maybe I’ll figure it out at some point…

I would very much like to message pyr0 for instance, he’s 30 and male…

Years ago, when I thought I had breast cancer (when I was twelve), doctors discovered I had unusually high levels of estrogen… and now that I am thinking about it… that was my first bump…

so how young have others grown bumps? I mean, I had numerous symptoms my entire life.

you would only be allowed to ‘pm’ someone if they allow it. Us girlies tend to send ‘hugs’ but i expect it isnt a manly thing. Being British i found it a bit erm…reserved but I have learned a few things about myself and how i need support as much as others need supporting too.
I am sure you will figure out the basics of this site…crickey I am still learning…lol

ps. pyr0 has his setting on private so you wont be able to pm him.

Wow, Benjamin, sounds like Dercum’s Disease to me! I could have written your list. Yes, men do get DD. They just don’t get diagnosed as often as women. I know several women your age with DD, so there’s no reason a man wouldn’t get it young too.

SSD and SSI do not recognize DD as a disabling disease. You can get disability, but its a long, hard road.
If you want to contact me privately, I’ll put you in touch with some of the guys who have DD.

Hugs,
Pamela

That sounds like what happened to me before I knew what it was…How did I get diagnosed?? I did research on the web and took it to my Dr who was very open minded…Finding one that is is difficult…This site is a wealth of info but www.lipomadoc.org (http://www.lipomadoc.org) is the best place to get info to take to the Drs…

Hi Benjamin! I can’t really add much to what has been said, but wanted to welcome you to the group. I am sort of new here too and have found this forum to be a lifesaver!

I guess I could add to the list of sites about it. The following are the pages I print out to take to all my doctors.

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic839.htm

and the one already mentioned:

Nice to meet you :slight_smile:

Thank you for the sites and open arms.

I hope Lyrica can help others… I got no insurance, so no help for me anymore. (expensive)

I’m about to start trying to get free insurance again, really need some meds or something… No work no money… Just pain.

My girlfriend was wondering if there is anywhere she can go to learn how spouses can help cope?