Hi! New Here!

I have had this problem for 15years and it has been controlled with at first Trileptal,and then years later when some pain broke thru the Dr’s added topomax that did it til recently…last spring,after a trip to the dentist the pain got a lot worse and i started tegretal…the dirtiest but the most effective. after getting pain under control I quit the two starter drugs. the tegretal worked very well for the pain…there.was none…I saw a neurologist and had a gamma knife procedure done…do the google on the gn that was last June,…went off meds in December…so far so good…no pain …willy98

jess78

Hi Lori,

I have the exact symptoms you have. I have had them 4 years after having a filling put into a tooth that resulted in a root canal. It left me with a chronic 24/7 intense pressure in tooth and gums on left side with most of the pressure in the upper tooth that had the filling and root canal.
Its been awful to deal with. How did the acupuncture work out? Did you do Chiropractic care?
How are you doing now? Tammy

Hello NHM,

I have been going through 4 years now of this awful facial pain on left side of upper and lower teeth and gums resulting from dental work. I have not gone through all the testing to identify what it is mainly because I know I don’t want to take medications… I am pretty certain after much research that they will tell me its some sort of a typical facial pain or neuralgia of some sort.
I am considering acupuncture or chiropractor… Was the chiropractic that you had done to help you upper cervical or was it just chiropractic adjustments??? Thank you.
Tammy

1 Like

Hello,
I’m new to this pain and am so sorry to hear some of you have had it for so long… and while pregnant! I hope you have a good support network.

My pain sounds similar to some of yours - constant aching/burning pain in upper left teeth & gums - occasional jabs, but mostly the constant pain. Then I also have facial tension on the left side much of the time. The pain is gone or minimal in the morning and then gets worse as the day goes on.

I found my #1 trigger is talking and then anything that causes vibration like riding in a car, walking, etc. I do NOT feel the pain while eating, brushing teeth or chewing gum (though I think chewing gum makes me feel worse after I stop).

An oral surgeon suggested I try wearing a mouth guard (yes, the thing that athletes wear) to help control some of the vibration from talking - and that has helped TREMENDOUSLY! I can talk now with it in my mouth and make it thru most of the day with tolerable pain. Prior to wearing the mouth guard I didn’t want to talk because the pain would get so bad.

The pain still gets worse as the day progresses even with the mouth guard. The less I talk the better I can make it thru the day. I feel like a dork, but hey - its less pain! For anyone with upper tooth/gum pain that seems to be triggered by talking, a mouth guard may be worth a try to minimize the pain some.

After a few tooth doctors, I was referred to a neurologist. He is fairly certain its TN (though I’m more the atypical type). I’ve just had an MRI to see if the cause of the pain can be seen and to rule out other causes. I plan to try a chiropractor next based on this thread - thank you!

1 Like