Life after graduation

Is any one out there beside me, who is terrified about their son or daughter entering the real world after school? My son is graduating this June and I must admit is a bit scary. There are so many things to think of and plan for his future. He has been on an interview to get into a college to learn life skills, but we are still waiting for a reply.Has anyone else have a special needs child that is transitioning to life as an adult? I would like sone feed back on living on their own or group home etc.
Thanks

Hi,

My son graduates June 1st also, but here in South Dakota they can remain in school until they’re 21, so though he’s gonna be finishing his “senior” year, he’ll be going back for 2 more years of what we’re calling “super high school”. He’s already on the waiting list for assisted living housing when he turns 21, and he works 2 days a week (thru a school program) and goes to class 3 days. It’s done him wonders, and he loves to work. In fact, they’re gonna really begin transitioning him to the working world over the next 2 years, and either get him a job at a “real” place, or he’ll just work and earn a living by staying with Black Hills Special Services…He’ll never drive, go to college, or anything like that, but he’s gonna make somebody a great worker.

Thanks for your reply, it seems your son’s highschool has a really good program. I live in Canada and here it’s mostly after you leave school it’s everyone for themselves. To get any kind of help we have to go and seek it out ourselves. It’s not easy since the government doesn’t make it easy to know where to get it. We will meet with my son’s social worker and figure out what to do when he does graduate. Hopefully we can get him into some day programs or there are colleges that offer classes for special needs persons. There are organizations, here however that do help people find jobs and will stay with the person to make sure the jobs goes well and they adapt well. If things don’t work out then they will help find something else. I do think that learning some kind of a trade in school is the a great idea. I wish they had something like that here. Thanks again for your input. Hope everything goes well with your son.