Methotrexate and heart palpitations

I take 150 mg MTX per week (soon to go up to 200mg), but I have been getting heart palpitations just recently - worse after my weekly dose of MTX. There is nothing in the leaflet with my medication to suggest that this is a common side effect, can anyone advise me whether they have suffered the same, and whether I need to speak to clinic about this. My family keep saying to me - come off the medications, but if they had suffered the pain I was in 6 months ago they would realise that I must try and get on with my meds.

Lynda

Lynda,
I just took my weekly dose and actually did notice some heart palpitations
for a short time. Guess we should both ask our Dr’s about it, just as a
precaution. You are on a much higher dose then I am. I only take 20 mg per
week. It has been slowly creeping up over the past year. I was just
recently taken off due to liver numbers going up to much. After being off
for 7 weeks, the pain was really bad.
The Dr. also did a prednisone burse and put me on oxycodone for the pain,
but it only takes the edge off of the pain. I am not complaining, it is
better then nothing. I am now back on MTX meds, this is the second week,
looking forward to that 7th and 8th week so much.
People have to experience the pain this dis-ease causes to understand, so be
gentle with them and continue what you need to do. My prayers are with you
and all my RA cousins.
Happy 4th of July to you all.
Becky
Arizona

I’m just getting ready to start this drug and my dr. told me that one of the side effects was heart palpitations. Actually he gave me a long list of side effects, which are scary. He also put me on Folic acid to hopefully ward off of any side effects. Hope this helps!

After being on Methotrexate for about a year, I too began having heart palpitations. They continued to get worse, and seemed to get really bad after taking the metho. After doing a harness for 24 hrs, and an EKG, I was referred to a cardiologist. My palpitations were in no way related to the metho. I suffer from Inappropriate sinus tachycardia, and by not being on medication for it, I was having palpitations. I now take 100-200 mg of Toprol XL a day, depending on how bad it is. The methotrexate in no way has an effect on my palpitations. If you have any more questions please let me know.

Kenajean