New Symptoms

As I said I have several problems But recenly I have experienced some new symptoms. i have had sore throats, low grade fevers and debiletating exhaustion after very little avtivity. I was not able to go to my regular Doctor but went to the ER when I could not keep my eyes open as the lids would not stay open. Also my brain felt fat.

The ER doc ran a couple of tests (bloodand urine) when these came back fine he looked at my chart and saw that I was taking anti-depressants and Topomax. He patted my hand and said go home and keep taking your meds you’ll be ok.

Now I don’t even want to go to my docotor. i feel so angry and at the same time as if maybe it is just another" in my head" thing so why bother. Yet the symptoms have not gone away.

It’s very important to go to your DR and be honest with him or her…if a med is causing problems let him know…sometime you have to be alittle pushy with them. Study your disease so the DR can’t talk over your head ask questions. DR in the ER don’t understand Bipolar that’s why they just send us on our way…yes, it’s happened to me many times. It’s harder for the DR to dismiss you when you have knowledge about what going with with your own body. I told a DR once that I wasn’t leaving his office until he talked to me about my symtoms and meds. He sat down and talked to me because ,one I made a threat and two I knew what I was talking about. Know your illness and your meds.
Don’t stay away from the DR they are suppose to help us.
write to me anytime if you like, christine

Boy, do I ever agree with Christine! You have to show your doc that you know about your illness and expect him to give you th answers that you need. My son’s last doc gave me some hogwash when I asked him to explain the direction he was taking my son in and that’s when we dumped him and found the best doc yet. She not only answers all our questions, but she fills me in as we go.

I am so empowered reading your responses. You are your biggest advocate. You CANNOT accept I don’t know for an answer. You have to push and push. That is how I got diagnosed with Crohn’s. After 3 trips to the ER and urgent care (yeah right, urgent my ass) I finally made my husband go with me. Since I couldn’t convice them, I thought maybe he would help. He told the nurse and the doc straight up, we are not leaving until you tell me what is wrong with my wife. I had a colonoscopy 3 days later. On 6-6-6 I was told I have Crohn’s Disease. You have to do the same thing for any ailment that might bring you to the doctor. Do not accept an answer that insults your intelligence. You know what is wrong, don’t be afraid to say it. They work for YOU. Not the other way around. Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Katie