Ovarian Cancer Questionnaire

The following questionnaire is entirely voluntary, and all personal answers will be treated with the greatest confidentiality. Please do not feel that you have to answer all the questions.

Your participation in this questionnaire is greatly appreciated.

Name: Crystal

Current Age: 24

Age at Diagnosis: 22

Type of Ovarian Cancer diagnosed (if known): epitheal cell

Stage (if known): 3c

Has anyone in your immediate family (mother, father, sister or brother) or on your mother or father’s side of the family (grandparents, aunts or uncles) ever had Ovarian, Breast or Colorectal Cancer: no

Did you have any symptoms before you were diagnosed? now that i look back on it and look at pictures, i realize i did have symptoms but i just thought they were normal things going on with my period, that kind of stuff

If yes, what symptoms did you have? constipation and or diarrhea, distention of stomach, stomach pains, gas, and finally blood in my stool

How long did you have symptoms before you saw a health care provider?well when i had blood in my stools i saw the doc that day

If you feel there were any delays in getting diagnosed, what were they? they thought it was just normal cysts, then they thought it was endometriosis even though my ca125 was 330

If yes, briefly describe what might have helped you get diagnosed sooner:i think because i was so young nobody thought that i could have had ovarian cancer and it was a big surprise to everyone, even my doc when they found it

When you were diagnosed, how did your health care provider give you information on the disease and your diagnosis? (Check all that apply):

• Conversation/Shared Information verbally x
  • Brochure x
  • Gave me a web site address
  • Recommended I contact a national or local organisation
  • Referred me to someone at hospital or treatment facility x
  • Other (please describe)

What topics did the information you were given cover? (Check all that apply):

• Ovarian Cancer (in general) x
  • Treatments x
  • Side Effect Management x
  • Nutrition x
  • Complementary & Alternative Medicine
  • Support Groups
  • Local or National Ovarian Cancer Organisations x
  • Clinical Trials/Current Cancer Research
  • Other (please describe) death and dying

What treatment did you have/are you having? i have had carbo/taxol, topotecan, cisplatin/taxol through ip chemo, doxil, navelbine

Were you given the information you needed to make choices about your treatment? kinda

Do you feel you were given enough information and support from first diagnosis and throughout your treatment? kinda

If not, what would you change or recommend be introduced for future patients? that not all patients respond the same to each treatment

Do you feel Ovarian Cancer is as well recognised as other forms of cancer, for example Breast cancer? no way, not at all

If not, what do you think would help make it more well publicised? making national ovarian cancer month (september) more recognized, having more companies support it with products in teal

Any other information (personal or otherwise) you would like to add:

Thank you for taking the time to complete the questionnaire.

The following questionnaire is entirely voluntary, and all personal answers will be treated with the greatest confidentiality. Please do not feel that you have to answer all the questions.

Your participation in this questionnaire is greatly appreciated.

Name: Deidra Manintveld

Current Age: 41

Age at Diagnosis: 34

Type of Ovarian Cancer diagnosed (if known): Papillary Serous Cystadenocarcinoma

Stage (if known): 1c

Has anyone in your immediate family (mother, father, sister or brother) or on your mother or father’s side of the family (grandparents, aunts or uncles) ever had Ovarian, Breast or Colorectal Cancer: No

Did you have any symptoms before you were diagnosed? Yes

If yes, what symptoms did you have? Bloating in the abdomen, constipation, feelings of fullness.

How long did you have symptoms before you saw a health care provider? At least a year, year and a half.

If you feel there were any delays in getting diagnosed, what were they? I didn’t realize I had cancer until surgery for Endometriosis on the left ovary.

If yes, briefly describe what might have helped you get diagnosed sooner:

When you were diagnosed, how did your health care provider give you information on the disease and your diagnosis? (Check all that apply):

• Referred me to someone at hospital or treatment facility

What topics did the information you were given cover? (Check all that apply):

• Ovarian Cancer (in general)
  • Treatments
  • Side Effect Management
  • Clinical Trials/Current Cancer Research

What treatment did you have/are you having? Chemotherapy - Taxol/Carboplatin

Were you given the information you needed to make choices about your treatment? No

Do you feel you were given enough information and support from first diagnosis and throughout your treatment? At the time, yes

Do you feel Ovarian Cancer is as well recognised as other forms of cancer, for example Breast cancer? I think it’s making it’s way up there in recognition … slowly but, surely.

Hi,
I have written a children’s book called Grandma Kathy has Cancer, which was inspired by and is a tribute to my dear sister Kathy, who lost her four-year battle to ovarian cancer last fall. The book’s inspiration was the real-life episodes between my sister and her granddaughter as she worked through the struggles with this “silent killer.”

I have used these real life happenings to help children better understand what happens when a family member is afflicted with cancer and am trying to spread the message that this book conveys – one of hope, love, and the importance of cherishing every moment of life.

If you would like more information about the book and to see a video preview on the review page, please visit my website at www.colleen-buckley.com.

Comments are welcome.

Hugs,
Colleen