Post-Polio Syndrome Member Introductions

Hi, my name is Mary,or nana, I had polio when I was 5. I had bulbar polio, I do not remember much about then. I have lived a good life doing basicly what I wanted to do. I was told I have post polio 20 years ago. I had no problems then. I knew I would probably have problems latter in life but just went on with my life. I started haveing leg pain and troble walking about 5 years ago. Now I have trouble with the legs and the arms now. I have lots of pain. I want to know how to handle the pain and to find out if there is anything better than what I am doing.

I’m Sarah, 43 years old. I am from India. I had polio when I was 13 months old. I’ve done pretty well, inspite of it all…:slight_smile: I’ve been working full time for the past 19 years and have been married for the past 2 years!
Post polio has been part of my life for about 10 years now. It all started with a noticeable weakening of my stronger, left hand. I currently experience periods of fatigue and a greater difficulty in walking and climbing stairs.

hello, my name is catherine and my mother has just been diagnosed wit PPS. I was hoping some one could give me info on anything that seems to help with the symptoms of fatigue and joint pain. she is the last of my family and want her to be free from as many restrictions as possible, also i was looking into some herbal remidies, would any one know or tried anything that has worked!? thanks

hi, im looking for a friend who knows what im going through i dont know anybody.

I was a patient at Warm Springs from Sept 1949 until Feb 1950. I was 17 years old when I was discharged. I would like to hear from any other patients who were at Warm Springs at that time.

control of arms and hands

I have post polio syndrom and spent time at Warm Springs, GA in 1950. Would like to contact anyone that was there at that time to compare notes.

I am 55 years old and suffer with post polio syndrome. I would like to discuss with other people this condition and hopefully learn some things that might help me and maybe I can share some things that will help them.

I am a polio survivor

Trying to find out all I can since my wife has PPS.

i have PPS. weight gain, depression, pain.

other pps, doctors suddenly cannoot remember what i was gonna say. sigh. part of it, i think.

fatigue is significant. sigh, again.

I had polio in 1951 when I was only 13 months old. It affected my left leg and right hip and I was unable to walk for about a year. I went through years of physical therapy and wore special shoes until I was about 10 years old. Life has been completely normal for me until about a year ago when I noticed significant weakness in my left leg and overall decreased endurance. I have recently started physical therapy again. With the therapy, can the weakness be controlled or will it progress?

I started having problems with PPS in 1996. I have been retired a year and a half. Wonderling who else has symtoms I have and if it will get better or worse. Right now I can sleep all the time if I want to and I do sleep the majority of my time.

i sleep when i have to sleep, which is a lot/ it’s like being a baby.i rarely have nightmares (which i am prone to) and usually wake up refreshed in terms of pain although sometimes a little whacked about what time it is or what day.

i don’t feel that i sleep too much or too little. i sleep when there is no choice or i literally fall asleep at the computer or watching a movie or eating…

but when i’ve slept enough, then my muscles don’t hurt as much, weakness is not so bad and i think more clearly…so that’s my story.

wannadance

(i used to be a ballet dancer, then a doctor. and now here i am. whatta bummer. )

okay. a more complete introd. had polio when i was a toddler but it was mild, no medical attention. later a doc dg it because legs were crooked, etc. no therapy, no medical attention (it was wartime)

i am 65 now. about 8 years ago, started to fall a lot just due to weakness and pain. legs atrophied, i didn’t notice, doctor did. arms/hands got weak. then i had a catastophic fall on silicone on the floor, nothing broke but was laid up for 3 months with major bruising of The Everything. PT didn’t help. i stayed weak. i denied it.

finally one day could not compress clutch on my car or manuver emergency brake AT ALL. had a friend come over, check them and they were not stuck. called my neuro. had a long period thinking it was ALS, but was PPS, thank god. so in last 4 years, have gone from no assist. devices to motor wheelchair, quite a relief and much safer. it went fast and was graceful making turns but i was hard on it and eventually bolts and stuff fell out and the charging was a problem. now i have one that is very sedate, slower. phooey. i am not sedate. i am a wild woman. maybe if i decorate it with sequins and feathers and pinwheels and flashing lights, etc, i’ll feel more at home. last one was a hot rod, this one is a buick.

personal confession: the thing i miss the most and that i think will eventually destroy me is the skin hunger, or lack or touch. many people abandoned me, including my boyfriend, who freaked out. i am starving for touch. i had a cat, but couldn’t lift her. i need a bonsai’d cat or something. i can’t very well get in my chair and go out looking for ‘action’, which is not really what i crave. just touch. i have very little money 'i am living on a fixed income, waaaaaaaah.'
i have little self-pity. i have never once said ‘why me?’. well, i mean, why NOT me?

anyway, too long. glad i had an extensive education, helps. oh, forgot to mention i am going blind from an inherited thing. sigh.

later,

dancer

Hi, My name is Linda and I am a Polio Survivor (class of 1954). I would to be part of this group to hopefully connect with old friends, meet new ones. I want to stay up to date with what other survivors are experiencing and what they have found works to their lives more managable and enjoyable.

Thanks, Linda

PPS has increased my level of fatigue. But I also have insomnia. So I don’t really know which to blame for my chronic tiredness. I still work full time, but it’s wreaked havoc on my social life. Luckily, I’m a dedicated homebody, and love to read. The house is a mess, but I’m taking all the rest time I want. One foot was affected by the polio, but I was able to pretty much keep up with most activities. Now my ‘good’ leg is fatigued, and the hip of my affected leg has started giving me trouble. I can’t wait to see what falls apart next.

Hi everyone, I have been in a few internet polio groups over the years, but I just did discover this one.

My name is Amy, I am 32 years old and live in middle TN. I was born in Vietnam where I had polio as a little girl. I came to America with my family in 1986 when I was 10. I have basically no leg muscles in my left leg and a very weak left hip. Still, I am able to walk with the help of a long leg brace and shoe lift when I am out. Around the house, when I take off my brace, I use crutches. Also I have a very severe spinal deformity. I try not to let any of this stop me from doing most things.

In spite of all this, I believe God has blessed my life in many ways. I am extremely proud and thankful to be living in this wonderful country. I graduated with a degree in information systems and I work as a computer test engineer, which I love. Most importantly, I have a wonderful husband and son. I met my husband Brian in high school when I was 17. Somehow he has always been able to see past my disability and deformity to the “real me”. We have been married for 11 years and are still very much in love. God has blessed us with a 5 year old son we named Garth.

Thusfar, thank God, I have not had any symptoms I would specifically identify as PPS. Back pain has always been a part of my life due to the shape of my upper body. Beyond that, I have to use my back muscles to compensate for my weak hip when I walk, which adds more strain. I am thankful I have my husband there to massage my back after a long day :):slight_smile:

I hope everyone has an enjoyable Holiday and please don’t forget what Christmas is REALLY about. Love, Amy

Hi Amy.

It is so good to hear such a terrific attitude from someone who is obviuosly
in continuous pain. I am a supporter for my wife, Sharon, who had polio at
6 mo of age. We have been married 24 years come February.

We have six children and are a part of the Branson group. We meet in
Branson, MO every year. Maybe you all can come one year. Find out more
here: <http://www.postpoliobransongoers.com, and, if you’d like to join our
group, contact Kathy at greulich@centurytel.net or Tom at posttom@yahoo.com.

Again, it’s great to “meet” you. Have a grand Christmas and New year.

Don

Hi
don here polio and alone
age 74 male and live in indiana
looking for local sight on polio persons
thanks

To: silentman74007@hotmail.com> From: post-polio-cpt2318@lists.careplace.com> Subject: Re: [post-polio] Post-Polio Syndrome Member Introductions> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:49:34 -0500> >