Return of symptoms and complications of a Heller Myotomy?

I am 70 year old and have been diagnosed with Achlasia.

I do not vomit but have spasms for which I control to some extent with medications. I consider surgery but with what I have heard and at this age, I don't know if it is for me. Any comment? Thank you for your support.

What I have heard is that there are returned symptoms and can have complications, like any surgery, I suppose.

Surgery has often help many others but there is no cure for Achalasia . Medication might help but surgery are Meds has not help me and I have had it since my early 40s . I am 67 now … I feel if you can manage the Achalasia ,don’t do the surgery . but check fully with your doctors and maybe a second … Best Wishes…Nell

Surgery was the best thing I ever did! I have heard horror stories, but I would do it again in a heart beat. The surgeon went in through my back and all I have is maybe a 6 inch scar across the right side of my back in which my bra strap hides. I have no bad side effects only a good positive experience. You might not be vomiting yet , but if you have achalasia you can count on it to begain happening. I never heard of anyone getting diagnosed with achalasia without the vomiting, you must have been diagnosed very early in the disease. I guess I waited till I couldn’t take it any more. Good luck and let my know what you have decided.

I had my surgery way back in the early 80’s when I was 34 years old. As somebody mentioned previously, it was the best thing I’ve ever done. Back then, things were a bit more complicated than the surgery they can do now and as a result, I have a scar that extends from just under my armpit, around and up my back. I was hospitalized for 10 days and recovery took months but at least I can eat and have stopped losing weight.

I think if you’re managing your achalasia with medication and are happy with it, then just continue but with me, I was not offered any type of medication… simply told that the surgery was what I needed. Good luck making your decision.

I have been successful with a couple of botox injections. Since then, I have been able to keep swallowing issues under control. (Along with daily 40mg of Nexium.)
It has been about two years since my last shot of botox.

2006 Heller Myotomy w/partial Funduplication…done with several small incisions, 2 day hospital stay… no issues since, no botox or balloon dialation before and good thing as doctors said both could complicate surgery if done prior.

I was diagnosed in the 80’s and had never had vomiting symptoms. After two initial baloon dilatations my consultant wanted to operate, but I managed to avoid this and has a further dilatation.
With today’s technology, I would avoid an operation and have the botox injection which, having had just one, I would class as the best method of treatment.
At 70, I would avoid any invasive surgery when there are alternatives!

I had surgery in 2001, when I was 40 year old and I am still doing very well. Had laparoscopic heller myotomy with partial fundaplication. Talk to your doctor and discuss all treatment options. Good luck!

I had the surgery when I was 65. It was laproscopic and really not much of a strain at all – only one night in the hospital followed by an easy recovery. HOWEVER the surgery was unsuccessful due to surgeon error. (He stitched a full fundoplication up too high and too tight.) Be sure to check out your surgeon – how many times has he done this surgery successfully. Ask for references, dates etc. I simply went trustingly to the guy recommended by my GI doctor. Now I know better. I have found two good experienced surgeons. One has retired and the other is Dr. Thomas Rice at the Cleveland Clinic. I heartily recommend him. If you are on Medicare, going to the Clinic is not an insurance problem.