Smearing after Pull Through Surgery?

Hello all, My son Matthew had his pull through operation when he was four and is now nine years old. We are experiencing the same things that y’all are. Smearing, green bean shaped poop, school issues, frustrations of not knowing what to do and if we are doing enough. Matthew says sometimes he can feel sometimes he can’t. We would like to connect with others who are going through the same things. We would like Matthew to know hes not alone and that there are other kids who know what hes going through too.

Thanks
Matt and Tracey Trask

When my daughter was first diagnosed at two months old he told me to give her applesauce to help give her fiber to move her bowels. Also, when my daughter ate bananas it would lubricate her bm’s or it would give her slight diarreha. They also put her on acedopholous cultured yogurt. This was 17 years ago but it seemed to help.

As far as her smearing, that lasted until she was at least 8 or 9. When she swimmed she had no control. So watch for that. I wish I would have been told about pantyliners that would have been a big help. Great idea.

God bless and stay strong.
memec

I’m here for the same issue. My daughter had a pull through done when she was 2 and is now 4. She will be starting school soon and I am nervous about her poop smears. We’ve resorted to panty liners when she started potty training a year ago. Some days have been good and some days not so much with the smearing.

I know it’s diet related but I haven’t found the correct diet for her. Everyone must understand that there are 2 types of fiber: insoluble and soluble fiber. Insoluble does not absorb water while going through the intestines and soluble absorbs water and becomes more gel-like. Insoluble keeps its form and helps move along other poop which are otherwise clumping or hanging out in the intestines. Soluble fiber absorbs water to make it easier to pass stool also making stool more liquid. I try to keep my daughter on a high insoluble fiber diet to maintain that bulkier stool to eliminate that smearing. I don’t want her to be constipated but thankfully I’ve never found constipation as a problem for her after the pull through. (She had about a foot of intestine removed during surgery idk if that makes a difference) It’s always been the issue with too much soft stool and smearing due to soft stools.

We are Asian and we have a lot of rice in our diet. Rice is an insoluble fiber and I’ve noticed that on days when we intake a lot of rice she doesn’t have any smears but on days when we travel or when we just do more eating out she seems to smear more. I just need to do my research on other insoluble foods other than rice because rice gets boring if consumed in every meal.

I know this thread is years old but our 13 year old son did years of enemas with Peristeen (and before that the kangaroo bag). He now wants to go camping and the 8tg grade trip so we have worked diligently to stop his Hirsschsprungs smearing and accidents (even with enemas, the accidents sometimes happened) what worked best for us was a reliance on leafy greens and bananas. I found that 4 ounces of a blended “smoothie” help solidify his stool, reduce gas and stop accidents because he could hold it if he had to go AND the poop was firm yet easy to pass. Here’s the recipe. It is not that sweet because sugar is our enemy, but a small cupful (4 oz) is all it takes.
Cup of romaine lettuce, cup of spinach, two celery stalks, small organic apple, small organic pear (optional), small banana, and squeeze half a lemon.
This was the winning formula for us. Kim Snyder is a chef whose book has this recipe.

And yes a cup or so of water to blend it!