10 yr old still having accidents?

My son is 10 yrs old and had pull through at 11 months old. He is still having accidents. Been to lots of doctors and they don’t tell me anything new. is this normal or is he being lazy.

I agree that bowel management should be a first option to help your boy, if you haven’t already gone this route, however, I have to disagree with the previous post about it not being normal. Unfortunately, b/c we’re military we’ve changed ped surgeons three times, and ALL of them have told me that continence could be a challenge and usually corrects itself by their teenage years. Bowel management can hopefully make that happen sooner than later :slight_smile: Take care

Hi, I just joined the site and I really want to help, or at least give some insight. I am 25 years old now and have been living with the effects of Hirschsprungs. I was actually the first case of Hirschsprungs found in an African American child. I’ve gone through 15 surgeries from the age of 0-8 years old. I’d like to start by saying that your child is going through is normal and this is something he will have to overcome through practice. He is going to have to practice holding his bowl and doing tightening excercises constantly inorder to gain control over this. The key is to try and get him to contract his anus so that the muscles become stronger and tighter. You may not see results immediately but this will definitely improve his quality of life and he will actually be able to hold his bowl if and when he needs to, instead of feeling the urge and immediately having to go. Last thing, I can’t speak on your sons laziness, but the best thing to do is to never do or say anything negative in front of him regarding his condition. Dealing with this condition can and most likely will have some effect on his self esteem, confidence and social dealing. Imagine not being able to hang out or have a sleep over because of your (literal)constant internal battle and fear. I hoped this helps a bit… I have a lot to say so dont be shy.

Thanks for replying, I guess I have forgotten about this group since joining fb. But here is an update on my son. Since this he had his cecostomy re done and his HD is under control. His EGID isn’t and he continues to loose weight. We are looking into a perm. feeding tube.

Shannon, Jake 15 yrs., LSHD, cecostomy 6/24/08 & 6/9/10, asthma, FAs, EAs (weekly shots), EGID, Troy 20 yrs.

Hi my son had his pullthrough at 11 months old to. He had a lot of leakage, accidents, and smearing. It was always a sign that he was backed up. He had a cecostomy last a little over a yr. ago and he hasn’t had to many issues with this. He is 13 yrs. old.

Shannon, Jake 13 yrs., HD, cecostomy 12 yrs., asthma, FA’s, EA’s, EGID, Troy 18 yrs.

it is not normal and he is not being lazy. =A0I would guess he is constipat=
ed or maybe the pull thru surgery left some small damage to the nerves whic=
h has left him to be incontinent. =A0The good news is there are doctors out=
there that can help. Cinncinati Children’s has a bowel management clinic w=
ith doctor who really knows his stuff. =A0There are also a few doctors spre=
ad in different parts of California who really know their stuff about our k=
ids too.
You just need to get to the right doctor who knows alot about HD and bowel =
management to help your son out.

=A0=A0Janelmom to:Isabella(14), & Tyler(6) http://tylerjourney.blogspot.com=
/http://unlimitedthinking.blogspot.com/

— On Tue, 10/13/09, qpert <hirschsprungs-fft-12056@lists.fireflyhealth.or=