12 stepping

Well, I ended up doing a 12-stepping last night… and let me tell you… it was not pretty, but here is how the story goes… i think i need to share it…
i picked this peson up at 7 to go to a meeting, we get to the meeting, unbeknown to me he has already called a cab to come pick him up, and he left right before the meeting starting. His sponsor and myself tried to call him many times to no avail… after the meeting, i went to base and i went to his command to inform them that he was missing… because he was under my care, and i reported him for 2 reasons.
1 - it was my responsibility to… i am senior to him in rank, and when he disappeared without a word to anyone(off base), i had to let his command know or else i could have been going to NJP.
2 - i wasnt going to enable him anymore… i had not reported him 2 times before… and the second time i promised to not do it again… that when it happens again, that i would be enabling him and keeping him from hitting his bottom… so yeah… it hurt to do that, but i did it, and that is that.
Anyway, i got a call from him just before midnight and he was drunk as hell, stumbling through some residential neighborhood, and after some talking, i was able to get he streets from him, and i went and picked him up after letting his sponsor know he was alive and that i was getting him…

Well, i found out one reason to never go alone on a 12 step… even if they don’t get violent with you… you gotta keep them from getting violent with inanimate objects.
so i ended up calling my sponsor and had him come meet us at a 24 hour diner for us to get some food and coffee into him.
After eating and talking for about an hour, me and the sponsor agreed to have him come to my room to pass out, that he shouldnt be left alone…
well, at 8:15 this morning, i got a call from the quarterdeck(i forgot to tell ya that i informed them that i was with him that evening after i picked him up)… and they wanted us down there… and yeah… he is on deep shit now… but i wouldn’t change a thing, and i would be kicking myself just as hard too, but i have to remember… he is the one that went out… and i was there for him, not i nthe way that he wanted, but in the way he needed.
james