Aarskog syndrome & growth hormone

Our 9 year old son was diagnosed with AS at age 4 and has delayed growth. Our endocrinologist just sent him for a growth hormone stimulation test. Have any of you other parents out there used growth hormone with your AS kids? If so, what results did you see?

I would also love to hear from any of you who’s AS child has learning disabilities. Thanks!!

Hi Sue,

Our 10 year old son is on GH, he started when he was 7. His growth hormone simulations came back normal but the Ped felt he would advantage from GH. It has worked wonders.

I have a son with AS that is almost 8. He is a little bit shorter than the other kids his age. I asked his doctor if he thought that putting him on a growth hormone would help. His reply was that the chances of the GH actually working were slim, we could try it if we wanted, and if we thought the side effects on his body would be worth it. We opted out of the treatment. Our son is happy and healthy and we just want to keep him that way.

Hi again Sue and gpack. Be guided as to what your endo says, it would really depend how delayed your sons bone age is - in our case our son’s was 2 and 1/2 years behind his age, had we not put him on growth hormone he would be substantially smaller than his peers, now he is still one of the smallest but not to the extent he was 3 years ago.