Accessibility in the Kitchen and Home

Accessible Stove and Sink

We are making plans to build an accessible kitchen for our family and I really need some help in planning for the sink and stove.

We are planning to make it open underneath both the sink and stove top (seperate oven). Does this work well when using a wheel chair? Is it “worth it” to build this way?

My research shows suggestions for making the height anywhere from 26 to 32.5 inches. So, for those of you who use chairs or have older children in who use chairs, what would be your recommendation for counter height with the stove and sink?

Then if we make everything the lowest at around 26 inches, or even anything lower than the usual 36 inches, is it uncomfortable for someone to stand and use them? What works the best for both wheelers and walkers?

How does one reach things on the stove and down into the sink when sitting down? I’m sure there are reach/grabbers for the stove knobs, but am not sure how well one could reach down into and use the sink. (Maybe that’s a silly question?)

What about typical height stove and sink with cabinets underneath and also planning for a mobil standing frame in the future? (At this point it would not work for us to use those slick looking stoves and sinks that move up and down.)

We would really appreciate hearing your experiences and/or what would be your ideal dream as we work on figuring all this out!

ALSO for the bathroom and any other room or area of the home ANY hints, insights, or tricks of the trade from the ‘trenches’ is so deeply appreciated.

Gratefully,
Karen
Our Blessings: Andrew 20, Aaron 14, Anna 9, and Abigail 2 & our joy! (SB T11/12-L4, Hydro. w/bilateral VP shunts, CMII, etc., Cath. 4x/day, Ditropan, Mobile Stander & Wheel Chair)

Hello. I am unavailable to read your message at this time.