Achalasia Member Introductions

I have a co worker who as achalasia and would like to learn more about it.

I have been recently diagnosed with achalasia and I am scheduled for a Heller Myotomy on May 8, 2007. I am very anxious about the surgery and fear my symptoms will not go away or may worsen. The doctors believe that I have had achalasia since my teenage years (I am 36 years old now).
I would love to hear from people who have this illness even if they have not had the Heller Myotomy done. I feel as if this whole situation is affecting my emotional health too. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
April

I was diagnosed with achalasia after about two and a half years of misdiagnosis. When I was finally diagnosed I discovered that my dr. really had very little knowledge of this condition. I searched on the internet and was lucky to find people who had first hand knowledge. Because of their willingness to share their knowledge and experiences with achalasia I was able to find one of the best doctors for achalasia. I had a heller myotomy one March 21, 2007 and am doing well. I like reading the group posts and find I am always learning more about the condition.

I have a family member with achalasia.

My doctor want me to have esophagectomy with a gastric pull up. The damage to my esophagous is so bad that any thing less would be a waste.

Iā€™m interested in anything about achalasia

I am a registered nurse by profession, but I am also the wife of an achalasia victim. I hope to learn more about the disease and ways to help make things easier for him

because i have achalasia. I have had it for 8 years. the doctor wants me to have surgery because the xrays show that the esphogis is going closed. he said that sometimes left untreated like i have it could become cancerous

I have achalasia. I am always interested in learning more and hearing others stories.

Hi, i am just also a person concerned with this.

I was diagnosed with achalasia in Jan 2003 and underwent surgery in the following May. Knowing about this condition now, I suspect that I had it since about the end of 1995, beginning of 1996, and it went from having a ā€˜sticky feelingā€™ in my throat to progressively worse until 2003 when I couldnā€™t eat for days at the time. Since the surgery my condition has improved, but not perfect. I still throw up about twice-three times a week on random food. I have learned to avoid many food, like soft breads, cold cuts, fresh hard vegetables - I try to consume these in different forms. Despite my effort I need to pay attention to every single byte on how fast I eat, how much/how long I chew and how carefully I swallow. Following the surgery, my esophagus remained open, but I completely lack the peristaltic motion that supposed to move the food down. So if I happen to eat something at dinner and I turn in early, by the morning I wake up with pain in the esophagus, especially if I had eaten something remotely spicy. I found that an after dinner walk helps - seems to move the food down better. Then again, I donā€™t always have the luxory of timeā€¦ On better days (now about 5 years after the surgery), I feel that I got used to this condition. On some other days I still feel that it is awful to think about every byte I eat, when seemingly the entire world is taking enormous bytes of a variety of foods as they please, without even giving it any thoughts.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with achalasia when I was 17 years old, which was almost 15 years ago. I probably have info I can share.

Hi, Iā€™m just eager to here almost every single thing
about Achalasia. Iā€™ve got it and I benefit from othersā€™
experiences. Thanks. Deborah

I am interested in meeting other Achalasia sufferers to learn of their experiences and share my own experience with this condition.

I was diagnosed with achalasia in July 2006 after not being able to keep down any food or liquids. I had surgery in August 2007.

My son has it. 2 myotomies without great results. My interest is new research treatments after myotomy.

My aunt has this condition.

Hi, Iā€™m Dick Lahn - started a website on Achalasia maybe 15 years ago. Iā€™ve had Achalasia for at least 15 years. Have had many treatments short of surgery which I want to avoid. Sometimes botox works for 1+ yrs, sometimes not at all, dilitation in ER has worked ā€“ went into remission for 5 yrs. Has anyone endured longer ā€“ fairly comfortably ā€“ without surgery and hope was it done. Thanks, Dick Lahn

I have a history of vocal cord cancer and esphophageal spasms.
I recently developed high blood pressure and my doc put me on hydrochlorothiazide. Sure enough, the esophageal spasms went away and Iā€™m feeling great.
I hope to learn a lot hereā€¦ and how to prevent any further problems.

Iā€™ve lived with a form of achalasia for 40 years. Each meal is a challenge to be conquered. Iā€™m interested in sharing wys to be .