Achalasia Member Introductions

I have had a preliminary diagnosis of achalasia and I need to talk to people who have experience!

I have Achalasia.

I just was recently diagnosed with achalasia. Looking for what I am in store for.

I have lived with Achalasia for 20yrs and because it is so rare, itā€™s good to have others to interact with

Iā€™ve had achalasia since about 2001. Been living with it without any of the standard treatments apart from a balloon dilation early on that wore off in a week.

I was diagnosed with Achalasia almost 15 years ago after about 15 years of living with it and not knowing what was going on. I had surgery after being diagnosed and have lived much more comfortably since then. My interest in this group is to not feel so alone in this.

I would just like to read a little bit from patiences condision.

My name is Lisbeth Little and I have been diagnosed with A since May 2003. Itā€™s nice to have friends who understand on a personal basis what its like. Itā€™s ironically reassuring the know youā€™re not alone in living with A.

Hello,
I belong to the achalasia yahoo support group. My daughter, Tia has achalasia. She was diagnosed and had surgery in November 2006. She was only 9 years old at the time. She turned 10 in April.
David Hughes suggested everyone stop by this site to check it out. So I finally have a quick minute to do so.
Cathy

I was diagnosed with achalasia in August 2006 had an open myotomy in September 2006

9 months on I am doing well.

I was diagnosed with Achalasia over 5 years ago, and had a Hellerā€™s myotomy shortly after being diagnosed. My symptoms progressed very quickly and I was completely unable to ingest foods or liquids when I had the surgery. The surgery was successful, but I have had a MAJOR increase in the number of painful esophageal spasms and would like feedback from others with this rare disease.

Hi! My name is Jim, Iā€™ve been treated for achalasia for 20+ years. Numerous dilitations both before and after myotomy and like most looking for that magic bullet. Ha!

Hello, my name is Martin and I am 28. I live in Slovakia. I was diagnosed with achalasia four months ago, although I had lived with the condition for several year (not sure how many as the onset was gradual). I had a Heller myotomy with partial (Toupet) fundoplication performed on me in the Czech Republic two months ago. I was the surgeonā€™s 104th achalasia patient. So far I feel great; I have gained back 10kg and I can eat pretty much everything without having to drink copious amounts of water (I do take the occassional sip, but only small amounts). Weā€™ll see how long it stays like this.

Hello I have been living with Achalasia for 25 years. I will be traveling to the Cleveland Clinic to see Dr Rice next week.

I have been diagnosed with achalasia for 9 years. I am 24 years old now. I have had numerous dialations and the hellerā€™s myotomy, all unsucessful. I have learned to cope and be mindful of the foods I eat. I just want to stay informed incase they ever do find a different approach to treating this crazy disorder.

My wife was diagnosed with achalasia at 19 and underwent the heller myotomy. I am doing research for a class on this topic

HIā€“can anyone give me some insight about the tests and procedures for diagnosing achalasia? and where is a good place to have these things done??

Hi
Iā€™m an achalasia sufferer and live in Indianapolis Indiana. Iā€™m looking to try to find some others in the area so that we can possible have a meet up group or at least close support group.

Achalasia sufferer

Recently diagnosed with Achalasia. Went thru 2 and half years of drs telling me it was stress.