Addison's and hypothyroid

I was reminded again this week that we cannot rely on our docs to manage our conditions. I have among other problems addison’s and have been hypothyroid since a thyroidectomy at 17. I see an endocrinologist regularly. She always checks my serum thyroid levels and adjusts my thyroid meds accordingly. However, she had me on Synthroid. I have been on senthetic thyroid for many years, certainly before I developed addison’s. With all of her tweaks to my thyroid level, she never changed me to dessicated thyroid. I just discovered this week that Synthroid is all T4 so I was getting no T3 at all. So I have been surviving all these years on the little bit of hormone produced by that 5% of my thyroid gland that the surgeon left. She should have known that, it is her specialty. We do have to remember, though, that we may be the first addison’s patient that they have ever met and they may really not know how to treat us. I called my GP and she changed me to Westroid and I felt better within hours of taking my first dose.

Hi Karena - I have addisons and am hypothyroid also. So…can you explain to me how the T3 / T4 differs. Is it because you had surgery? I am low dosed synthroid. But I am tired and very cold - but struggle with heat as well (addisons) - just wondering if this is something I need to look into also.

Thanks for your help… lizzie3