Am I Bipolar or suffering depression?

Hello all,

I recently have noticed a dramatic change with my moods. One day I’m on cloud nine and want to be around people joking and laughing and full of life. The next day I’m sad and depressed and feel worthless and want to be alone. I need to find out what is wrong with me since I have two young children that I’m responsible for. I don’t know if I’m suffering from depression, have bioplar or am just going through a mid-life crisis. A lot has changed for me since the past 6 months. I’ve purchased a home so am under financial stress and have lost two pets whom I’ve had for 14 yrs and the stress is building up. I don’t what to be misdiagnosed and put on meds when I don’t need them or put on the wrong meds and make matters worse. I do know that I have to find out what’s worng with me since I have a responsiblity to my family. Someone please help. I researched bipolar and depression and I do have most of the symptoms and I have an appointment with my PCP in a couple of weeks but do not what to be misdiagnosed. Thanks for listening.

Hi, I’m sorry your going through such a hard time right now. How old are your children? It’s not postprtum depression is it? I have three children ages 10, 9 and 6 months. Even though I’m not bipolar, I find myself feeling blue sometimes because I’m a stay at home mom, and sometimes feel so isolated. I’m 31 years old,and most people I know seem to have these fasinating and exciting careers, and all I seem to be able to talk about is the exciting things my children are doing (which isn’t always exciting for others to hear.) Are you married or a single mom? About 4 years ago I went to my doctor when I had a lot of stress in my life. I was convinced I was bipolar. I wasn’t but he gave me a mild anti depressant and it helped a lot, and I was able to get off of it in three months.I also thimk it’s important to take time for yourself (yes I know it’s hard I should follow my own advice) Good luck to you, it sounds like like a stressful time. Please feel free to vent to me anytime. Most of all don’t be hard on yourself.