Anxiety and panic on a job

what are some ways you handle anxiety and panic on a job?

I try to focus on doing things - even the smallest things that - I have control over. Return calls, schedule a lunch, work on a project. No matter how small, doing things that I have control over helps me focus on the now.

View the techniques for control of anxiety/panic attacks, in section 8, at ezy build, below. Begin, on this first occasion, only, by holding your breath for 5, or 10 seconds: this will give you the confidence to realise that YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR BREATHING, but not pass out, or die (your autonomic nervous system resumes breathing, if you become unconscious). Understand panic attacks, and what triggers them, in your life (if it is unresolved anxiety, or stress, see sections 6, or 42, respectively). The paper bag method works for most people: try it.

If you are fairly suggestible, the following are reliable: http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/
Your last alternative is psychotherapy, to address its fundamental cause: read section 1, and examine the http://1-800-therapist.com/ website, and use the locators, and phone book. I used to suffer from panic attacks, until I questioned what had changed in my life, at, or just before that time, to trigger them. For some people, this is enough. These days, I have instilled the habit of, whenever a situation occurs where panic is likely, I visualise a large, “STOP!” sign, as vividly as possible, followed by repeating to myself: “stay calm” in my mind. You could try the same method. It usually takes 30 - 40 repetitions, for most people, to establish a new habit. I also suggest that you learn, then practise the controlled breathing technique, until competent, then employ it, at the very first sign of a panic attack.

Practice one of the relaxation methods on pages 2, 11, 2c, or 2i, daily, and when needed. Also, give the EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. There is also a version for use in public places, (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you massage/lightly tap your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind). Section 53, and pages 2, 2.q and 2.o at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris also refer: “Even though I sometimes suffer from panic attacks, I deeply and completely accept myself.” Note: the controlled breathing only helps with the symptoms (as do medications/herbal remedies): you need to address the underlying cause, and this requires some form of therapy, and Cognitive Behavio(u)ral Therapy has proved effective.

Advice from a published psychiatrist on controlled breathing. (1.) Get a clock, or watch with a second timer. (2.) Practise for 5 minutes, 4 times daily, until proficient. (3.) Take a small breath in, and hold it, for 6 seconds. (4.) Think to yourself: “RELAX”, just before breathing out. (5.) Try to feel a sense of releasing tension, as you breathe out. (6.) Breathe in for 3 seconds, then out, for 3 seconds. Try to make your breathing very smooth, and light, as you breathe in through your nose, and out through your mouth, or nose. (7.) For the next minute, continue to breathe in, and out, every 3 seconds. (8.) Go back to step 3, at the end of the minute, and proceed through to step 7, doing this for 5 minutes. Use this at the very first sign of a panic attack starting, or any time you feel anxious, or tense.

Because many people can’t access/afford professional therapy, I include the EFT, and EMDR variant for them to try, free of charge. Cognitive Behavio(u)ral Therapy is generally available in most areas, but EMDR (see section 33) may well be worth trying, and is becoming more widespread.

(The following is a variant of EMDR therapy, which has been used successfully for those people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, insomnia, and anxiety: it is easily learned, quick to use, yet can be very effective. It is easy to be dismissive of such a seemingly unusual technique, but give it a good tryout, for at least a few weeks, to see if it is effective in your case).

Prior to using either of the methods in the above paragraph, first sit comfortably, and take a deep breath. Then, without moving your head, move your eyes from the left, to the right, and back again, taking around a second to do so (say: “a thousand and one”: this takes approximately a second).

Repeat this procedure (without the words, although you can count, subvocally, if you like) 20 times: "A thousand and one; a thousand and two… " and so on, to a thousand and twenty. Then close your eyes and relax. Become aware of any tension or discomfort you feel.

Then open your eyes, and take another deep breath, and repeat step one, closing your eyes, and relaxing afterwards, in the same manner. Then, repeat the procedure one last time. Some people may find that this is all they need do.   With experience, you may find that you can practise this in public, with your eyes closed, which greatly widens the window of opportunity for its use, and avoids attracting unwanted attention. I have found that the 2 - 3 minutes spent using the EMDR markedly reduces distractions to the relaxation process, and is repaid many times over.

I also use it prior to my chosen relaxation technique, after lights out, at night. For more about Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing therapy, showing recommendations by those who have used it, including a professional psychotherapist with more than 20 years of experience in that field, see sections 33 - 34, at ezy-build. She was skeptical, at first, and I remained unconvinced, until trying it, and now I use it twice daily, including after lights out, at night.

It may also help to minimise, or eliminate caffeine products from your life (coffee can be a trigger) and sugar. Xylitol, or Stevia is preferable, (health food stores) or fruit sugar (fructose, such as "Fruisana", from supermarket sugar aisles) or even a little honey. Minimise/eliminate consumption of highly processed foods, particularly grain products, such as white bread, donuts, cake, cookies/biscuits, or anything with sugar. Opt for more wholefoods, non-starchy vegetables, and fruit.

Anxiety is addressed in section 6 at ezy build: view page N first.

i have social anxiety disorder so i am afraid to talk on the phone or to be around people. this has only surfaced in the last three years. if anyone has any ideas on how to cope with this one ill be so grateful.

It seems like i get more and more anxious every day. I know i need to go and see a doctor, and i know this sounds funny, but i am afraid to go, and afraid of what they will give me to take and what that might do so i really dn’t know where to start, or how anymore. I am afraid of losing my job over not going in.

its not funny I was scared to go to but finally I went I don’t regret it because it has been improving for the first time in my life my socail anxiety and my general anxiety but its not gone but better than it was a therapist is what I see my general dr has me on celexa and I got xanax for those panic attacks but don’t have them very much so I don’t use it to often I am glad panic attack are not fun still new jobs first day of college uhhm any where I go with people there for the first time is tough actually for a while but every time I go it gets easier but I hate it in the beginning you need to figure out what the cause is and work through it not an easy task but its possible good luck and a therapist will help with that and meds help in dulling the anxiety a little it is a common thing they say good luck shore girl in finding your way

Thank you VickieEyore…do you hae a recommendation for finding a good doctor? I don’t know anyone that has this problem, and when i try to explain it, I end up crying and not wanting to talk to people. I hate even going out of the house, but i can’t keep on feeling like this and afraid all the time either.

Hi, Shoregirl,

Do you have a GP doctor that you trust?  I would suggest asking your regular doctor for a recommendation for a psychiatrist.

Hang in there!

Susie

yes it is hard very very very hard and what I hate about it I fee like I am being stepped on and I can’t deffend myself other than getting really mad and having a fit which isn’t good

his hasn’t made the attacks go away but its kept them from ever impacting my performance working, driving, socializing etc –

once they start I look at my watch, note the time, soemtimes even write it down with the intent that once it ends I’ll note the time to see how long it lasted

what I found in the beginning was that they would get shorter

and what happened after that was that I kept having them, but I didnt notice when they ended, they just stopped being important enough to notice (timing them had neutralized the emotional content)

my heart still races, still get clammy sweat, still have the pain, but there’s no fear, no thought attached to them, they just seem rather a “nuisance” and so they become easier to ignore

it can feel very lonely, but there is hope. there are ways of calming yourself and getting through. even just talking in a soothing way to yourself can help. think of yourself as a child that needs to be cared for…funny how that works for me. as i am very critical otherwise.

I don’t know you have to be able to talk but its hard to talk when I am with a group cyndy does groups of people stop you from talking ?

i wish that i could find a way to stop the social anxiety. i know i have to face the situations that i am afraid of but its hard to say the least. does anyone think a twelve step group would help me as i am an adult child of an alcoholic. im thinking maybe i would be able to get close to people and hopefully overcome my fears about social situations. ive been this way for three years. i need help and my doctor who is also my therapist hasnt seemed to help.

cyndi, i think it might help, group therapy. because you’re all in the same boat and you’re there supporting one another… i suppose it depends on finding the right group for you : )

IN THE BEGINNING YES THEY DO STOP YOU. YOU FEEL LIKE YOU DON’T BELONG. EVEN IN A WORK SITUATION. I AM VERY OUTGOING BUT PUT ME IN A NEW SURROUNDING I CLAM UP. FEEL LIKE I DON’T BELONG LIKE WITH THIS JOB I HAVE. AT MEETINGS THEY ALWAYS PLAY THESE STUPID SORRY ASS GAMES AND I AM SORRY I FEEL OUT OF PLACE AND I DON’T PARTICIPATE. BUT WHEN I AM WITH MY CLIENTS NOT AN ISSUE. EVERY PLACE HAS THEIR CLICK. NOW I TREAT PEOPLE THE WAY THEY TREAT ME. MEETINGS I JUST DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE. IT IS OK TO FEEL HOW YOU DO. I FIND WAS SO NERVOUS BUT NOW I TAKE MY TIME. I FEEL MUCH BETTER ABOUT THE JOB BUT THIS MEETING BS HELL NO. I WILL NOT PLAY GAMES OR PARTICIPATE. I SIT THERE. IF THEY DON’T LIKE IT OH WELL. FIRE ME BUT THEY WON’T CAUSE I DO A GOOD JOB WHEN IT COUNTS. DO NOT EVER PUT YOURSELF DOWN. TAKE YOUR TIME. YOU CAN DO IT. TO ME THIS SO CALL EXERCISE GARBAGE IS A BUNCH OF BULL. BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION. YOU WENT TO THE QUILTING CLASSES RIGHT? WELL YOU CAN DO THIS BUT AT YOUR OWN PACE AND WHAT IS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU. I DO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. BUT I KNOW YOU WILL DO GREAT.

not stop stepped I feel like at the volunteer job they don’t appreciate me and hoping they would hire me is a waste of my time they don’t notice what I can do they notice my social anxiety

vicki, isn’t that sad but true about people, we mainly concentrate on the negative - while, instead, we should notice what we CAN do, right?! "they don’t notice what I can do they notice my social anxiety " don’t let those noodles get to you! …i’m sure they even accerbate(sp?) the anxiety through their stupidness.

dreen, i admire your stance! : )

UNFORTUNATELY IN THE WORKPLACE NOONE APPRECIATES NOTHING .WHEN I FIRST GOT BACK FROM DISABILITY ALL THE PEOPLE THAT WERE HIRED WITH ME QUIT FOR THAT REASON AND OTHERS. WE ARE SO SHORT HANDED AT WORK I HAVE TO TRAVEL TO DIFFERENT BRANCHES TO COVER CAUSE NOONE WANTS TO WORK FOR THEM AND THE PEOPLE THAT DO WORK FEEL THE SAME WAY THAT IT IS JUST DO AS IS NEEDED , DON’T COMPLAIN. NOTHING IS APPRECIATED IN MOST JOBS UNFORTUNATELY. YOUR JOB IS VOLONTEER. LOOK AT IT AS YOU CAN QUIT ANYTIME YOU WANT. IT MAKES IT EASIER FOR YOU TO IGNORE THEM AND DO YOUR JOB. DON’T LET THEM PUT YOU DOWN. YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON AND IF THEY DON’T LIKE IT WHO CARES… YOU DO NOT LIVE WITH YOUR CO-WORKERS. THEY PROBABLY ARE JEALOUS OF YOU CAUSE YOU DO YOUR JOB. YOU ARE GOING TO WIN THIS ONE I AM SURE. GIVE IT TIME.

I usually walk it off. I work on alot of construction sites as a contractor, adn when it hits me, I walk away and act like i am looking at something, so I don’t have to talk to anyone. Or I go to another job site and hope it will pass by then.