Anxiety-Freeway driving

Hi Everyone-
I’m new!
I’m not real sure what to do. But here you go.
I have a real fear of driving on the freeway. I have for years. I looked up on the net, anxiety attacks and wouldn’t you know I have almost all of them. At the bottom of the page they listed “doing something crazy” I just thought that was my personality. I am always scared that I am going to pull out infront of someone or run into a pole. But the “crazy” thing happens when I am feeling anxienty when I’m not driving and I am a passenger and I want to scream or open the door. I just figured I was very weird. I know I am "bipolar’ what ever that means. I need some advice on what others might of done to help with this problem, especially since now I know it is anxiety. Also, I called a person for ride today and they made fun of me and told me to get over it and I was very upset. How do you deal with others who don’t understand? Thanks

A lot of people who are not in “our shoes” dont understand. Some doctors even"raise eybrows" at times…?;;

I KNOW THAT FEELING OF FEELING LIKE YOUR GOING TO LOSE CONTROL. I HAVE AN EMBARASSING FEAR THAT IF IM UP HIGH SOMEWHERE IM GOING TO JUMP. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME IT WAS MORE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER BECAUSE IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AND IT WAS IRRATIONAL. SOMETIMES WHEN IM DRIVING I GO REALLY SLOW BECAUSE IM SURE IM SOING TO HIT THE CAR NEXT TO ME OR RUN INTO A PATCH OF ICE. PEOPLE GET FRUSTRATED AND PASS ME BUT IM LIKE GRIPPING THE STEERING WHEEL. I GUESS THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO EXCEPT ACCEPT THE FACT THAT ITS IN YOUR IMAGINATION AND JUST KEEP DOING IT UNTIL IT LOSES ITS GRIP ON YOU. NOT EASILY DONE RIGHT? WHEN IM IN THE GRIP OF AN IRRATIONAL FEAR I WILL NOT LET UP ON IT. MY HUSBAND SOMETIMES THINKS IM CRAZY. I JUST WISH I DIDN’T FEEL THIS WAY.

Thanks so much for writing me. I am so glad to hear that someone else has a fear. I seem to have so many fears. I fear bridges especially where there is water underneath. Once when I was young my cousin hung me by my ankles and told me he was going to let go…he did…then caught me in time…I don’t even know how young I was but I remember feeling so out of control. I don’t ever want to feel that again. I’ve told many people that story but for some reason today saying it really makes me sad… I’m angry at him. For making me like this…later on in my youth he molested me. Known of that though had to do with driving on the freeway. The molestation though did take place in a van. I’m no psychologist but maybe I’m just crazy…