Any advice on getting pregnant?

I would love to start trying to have a family with my husband, but I’m scared because I don’t know what to expect while I’m pregnant in regards to my lupus. Does anyone have some advice or experiences to share with me so I can have an idea what to expect? I know everyone is different, but I don’t know anyone else with lupus who really understands my concerns.
Thanks,
Luisa

Hello, I am unavailable to read your message at this time.

The first thing you should do is find a HIGH RISK OB/Gyn

They may advise you what medications you are presently taking which would affect the fetus.

It is important to know your blood type. Is it the same as your husband’s?

The reason being is that since lupus is an autoimmune disease, your body could attack the fetus or baby. If both of you have the same blood type, there wouldn’t be a problem.

I didn’t know when I first got married that I had a problem, even though because of my blood type, RH O Neg., I was constantly tested throughout my pregnancy. (My first daughter DID have my blood type)

My second pregnancy, my baby boy was born. (I was again constantly tested), and everything seemed fine, but he passed on the third day of his life. He was A Pos blood, and I had to have some kind of shot to get rid of the cells in my body.

I had an autopsy performed, and he only had 2 chambers of a heart and other problems with his organs. (Still not knowing I had lupus)

It took me 3 years to get pregnant again. I decided to adopt and then found out I was pregnant at the same time. My adopted daughter brought me so much happiness that I didn’t have time to stress about the fetus growing in my body.

My son arrived when my daughter was 7 months old. He had the SAME blood type as I did, and he was fine.

So…go to a HIGH RISK doctor FIRST before becoming pregnant. I would find out if there is anyway a doctor can find out a baby’s blood type while in utero Science and research have come a long way since I had my pregnancies, so please don’t get upset reading this. Knowledge is Power and Control over one’s body.

GOOD LUCK!

It can be rough on your body from what I understand. The webmaster of my other support site is pregnant and due in August - she’s been in a flare and bedridden most of her pregnancy. She was nauseous most of the first trimester and barely eating - she was hospitalized for a couple weeks because of that. She didn’t announce her pregnancy to the website - until her second trimester. Fatigue has been her nemesis since then. But so far - the baby is all good.
She has Lupus Nephritis - so we’re all terribly worried about the toll on her kidneys - but she’s a huge fighter, so we’re just keeping our fingers crossed.
As always, it’s different with everyone.
Personally, I don’t know how anyone has children with a chronic illness - it’s hard enough just having a chronic illness! But The challenge is there and if you want it bad enough - and your body can handle it - then go for it. But like we all have learned - your health is everything.
Good luck with your decision.

linda

Hi Luisa

Best advice is to have a talk with your Rheumatologist first and he should
be able to talk you through some of your worries.

I did it completely the wrong way - I was on the Pill and didn;t know I was
pregnant until I was 36 weeks - I didn’t put weight on and didn’t show any
of the normal signs of pregnancy. I took a course of steroids when about
two months pregnant and was on hydroxochlorquine until the pregnancy was
found. It was only found because I had a spinal x-ray because my
rheumatologist was so concerned I was in so much back pain (much more than
normal for me). My rheumatologist rang me to tell me the results of the
x-ray (that I was pregnant) and this was speedily followed by a call from my
GP and a call from a ob/gyn colleague of my rheumatologist who he’d already
brought up to speed on the situation. I found out I was pregnant on the
17th August and went into labour on the 28th. My daughter was born three
weeks early at 1.20am by emergency ceasarean on the 29th August 2000.

Jacquie is now nearly seven years old. She’s perfect in every way. No
physical or mental difficulties (apart from asthma which runs in my
husband’s family), she’s bright (a reading age of nine already),
communicative and very beautiful. So she’s living proof that you can have
Lupus and do everything wrong and still get away with it (although I
wouldn’t recommend doing it that way if you can possibly avoid it!)

Good luck

Helen

On 6/2/07, emerald lupus-cpt3608@lists.careplace.com wrote:

I had Mixed Connective Tissue Disease until I got pregnant. Now I have Lupus so pregnancy for me caused my disorder to progress. Knowing that would not change my decision to have my daughter and she is healthy. These diseases are linked to hormones but no one can predict what will happen. What really matters to me is that I was still able to have a healthy child.