Back pain & enzymes

Happy Holidays to All:

I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis in October 2006 and to make a very long story shorter, I appear to be following the path as progressively as is written. Since my diagnosis, I have always felt the pain up and under my right rib cage as well as radiation into my right upper back (scapular area) but the pain is becoming so intense that I can’t even lean back in a chair anymore. For some time I haven’t been able to lie in bed on my back but the pain to my scapular area is so intense. My question is: Has anyone had significant pain in this location and if so, were you able to relieve it with meds, rest, exercise, etc?

Also, I’ve just started taking the enzyme Pancrease and so far it doesn’t seem to help at all. Has anyone taken this particular enzyme or another brand and found that it didn’t really help or does it take a while to get into the bloodstream?

That’s all the questioning for now, hope everyone is having a pain-free day, week, etc.

Peace,

Grace

hi grace,

i used to take that enzyme, but they changed me to creon, i have been on viokase also, not sure one is any better at least for me, many say viokase helps more with the pain.

yes the stomach pain going to the back is
very much a normal intense part of this disease, many times i just lean over the bar stool for some relief, break through meds give the best and yes rest also, i prop at night with several pillows ! hope this helps as it is very
painful and wears one down quickly ! good luck and hope you get some relief soon ! love to you

Julie

Oh My YES YES and YES…When I was first told I had CP my pain was in my scapular area, and my back ribs, couldn’t sit, stand, lay, or lean into a chair/wall/bench whatever nothing worked for me.

I too take enzymes pancreas the main thing I have noticed is if that’s a big IF, I eat fatty foods and take two before eating (as pres.) they ease the pain somewhat, but overall I live with a heating pad and a heating mattress pad this is the only way I rest somewhat comfortable, but I also take lots of pain, nausea meds. plus a antidepressant plus a sleeping pill.

so my thoughts to you are keep taking your enzymes about 15 mins. before you eat and try the heat thing. I sure hope this will work for you, if not ask your PH for something to relax you so you can be comfortable :slight_smile: I have given up a lot just to stay around a little longer…You sound like you have the same pain that I have been having for almost 4 years. Yes it does suck, but we just keep pushing…Ok good luck to you, and look forward to chatting with you soon…

Here is to a pain free day/evening, and big Hugs sent your way…

Mrs Barb

Hi Grace,

That’s how the ‘Beast Pancreatitis’ bothers especially the Chronic Patients. I don’t remember how long it is been that I’ve lied on my back. I have to lie right side and I can’t even lie to the left side because the tube hurts. I can’t sleep on tummy which was my comfortable position sometimes when I was very tired. Most of the nights I sit that to turning to my right side leaning against my big pile of pillows. My daughter so many times asks,’ mommy why can’t you lie down and sleep at night? Whenever I see you, you’ll be sitting through out the night sometimes. You will get tired mom.’ That’s why she tells me before she goes to school that I should rest well because I didn’t sleep well at night and because no one will be there during the day time I
should peacefully sleep. I do, but I sit in my rocking chair and sleep. I don’t think how long it is like this and I don’t remember sleeping comfortably and peacefully dreaming I think at least for almost 10 yrs next month.

I take enzymes and I just take 2 or 3 with snacking because I can’t eat full meals. I take Viokase and they seem to help because I’m very careful with the diet. I never eat the fatty foods and stick to low fat
diet. In spite of taking so much care also I’m stuck with my favorite close friend who has become like a shadow of my life who has become so attached to me and doesn’t want to leave me even for few minutes.
Sometimes I think if it doesn’t want to leave me at all throughout my life, how much it love me, sometimes I wonder maybe I’ll fall in love with it. Who knows? If all of a sudden I don’t feel the pain and I get
used to live in pain and then I may look for my dearest friend, where did it go and how did it leave me etc? Before I come out of my thinking it may come and make it presence feel. I don’t know my reaction will
be, I may become very emotional for losing it for few minutes.

Oh, come on you must all think what is she talking? She must be crazy?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL!
REMEMBER NOT TO EAT ANY KIND OF FATTY FOODS.
EVEN IF YOU GET TEMPTED JUST TASTE VERY LITTLE AMOUNT AND THEN DO NOT
FORGET TO TAKE ENZYMES.
BUT DON’T DEPEND TOTALLY ON ENZYMES AND THINK IT WILL HELP WITH THE FATTY
FOODS, MAYBE WE CAN EAT WHAT EVER WE WANT AND THEN TAKE MORE ENZYMES
IT DOESN’T WORK LIKE THAT!

ENJOY HOLIDAYS WITH YOUR FAMILIES, FRIENDS AND RELATIVES.
HOPE YOU ALL HAVE MORE AND MORE GOOD DAYS WITH PAIN FREE DAYS TO
HAVE FUN.

LOVE,
DURGA

Great Great Advise durga!!! You always know the words, don’t eat what is bad for us and try and make it up with enzymes-Had to chuckle…LOL Yes I am being bad tonight cause I eat bad bad things, but I know I will be the one that pays for it…First time I have been out in two and a half weeks, my family had x-mas tonight, and I really needed to force myself to get out and go, as you know my life is a mess right now, and even got more bad news on Thurs. :frowning: I will send you a privite message about all that stuff ok…Just wanted to comment on your post…Gotta Love YOU,Have a great hopefully pain free evening/day tomorrow…

Love, Barb :slight_smile: