Becker's Nevus Progression

Hi, I’m 17 and my BN developed about 2 years ago and it’s on the right side of my stomach in line with the belly button. Luckily, it’s not particularly dark at all and almost unnoticeable in some lights if it weren’t for the hair.

It hasn’t got that much hair so far, and not that much more than the other side of my stomach. So far, it’s basically been a bit ahead of the natural hair growth on the rest of my stomach just a bit darker.

My question is, how likely is it that it will be significantly more hairy than surrounding areas? And also how likely is it to grow more seeing as it only developed at the age of 15?

Pictures if necessary, thanks

I can’t answer the second question, but from personal observations I’ve come to the conclusion that the severity of BN will often determine how much hair grows on the area.

For example, people with super hyperpigmentation will have more hair than people with moderate hyperpigmentation. I’m in my late 20s and mine sounds like yours (light pigmentation/on the belly). The hair growth on the affected area has remained constant for the last 10 some years. I don’t know if this helps at all, but this just my observations.

Welcome to the club!

Thanks kingliam, I hoping that will probably be the case for mine. I just wanted confirmation as the dermatologist had never seen one below the chest and was cautious to comment on the long term prognosis.

I agree with Kingliam. My BN showed up when I was 13-14 on my right shoulder/back/arm area, and is quite hairy. It was (and still is) significantly darker than the surrounding skin, but the hair did not start to show up for a couple years after the skin changed pigmentation. Having done a lot of research, it seems like the lighter pigmented BN’s (like yours) tend to develop much less hair than BN’s like mine. By 17, the hair on your BN is probably the extent of what you can expect. That’s a tough spot since you have hair in that region already, so it’s not like you could just wax/shave the hair on the BN; so maybe you could dye it a little or use clippers to keep it consistent with the hair on the surrounding areas. At 30, I don’t even wax mine anymore unless I’m going on vacation or something. In fact, it seems like I care and think about it less and less each year. I think my wife actually likes it; she always says that it’s one of the many things that makes me different/unique…and I’m starting to think she’s right:) Be well Edward.