Beginning chemo~ #1- RELAX

Dear Fello Recoverers, Is that a word? Well it is now! First lets discuss the bugaboo “The Unknown”. Take a deep breath and relax. There is no big deal, when you think of it as doing battle with an invading disease. Chemo is your strongest weapon.I just thought of it as a Big baseball bat smacking those c cells right out of the ballpark. First, I was fitted with a port in my chest. I,m no longer a youngster and my viens are thin and collapse. Of course men have these bulging blood vessels that I,d kill for. But again this is for my comfort while recieving chemo. You will get a recipe of chemo thats fitted just for you. You will lounge while recieving it in a lovely lounge chair. You can have a blanket and pillow, wear your earphones if you like music, or pick up a copy of the latest paperback you,ve been wanting to read. Your chemo will have an added ingredient to prevent nausea. Someone,s terrific idea. I had friends that took a few tablets and worked clear through chemo. Now don,t feel guilty if you can,t.We are all different and recieve different meds.I treated myself to a couple of days of ‘couch potatoe time" Sometimes food tasted metallic or just plain strange. I followed my feelings of the moment. After all, this is the time for a bit of pampering. If you want ice cream eat it. whatever floats your boat . Just relax and realize you are co-conspiritor in a battle to win and in the meantime spoil yourself silly. You,ll find your nurses to be gentle and careful. There is a spray that you can order from the drugstore that numbs the injection site. There is also a numbing cream if you don,t like the slight prick of a needle. Do anything that adds to your personal comfort. If you want a friend to sit by you they sometimes allow it in the beginning. After the first time you,ll be fine. Like we said .It’s normal to feel anxiety before your first infusion, but after that you,ll be a master and take it in your stride. Buy a book, The Breast Book. Its filled with facts.You will meet others in the same boat. When I went there were 6-8 chairs in the room with people recieving chemo. I was never alone. There was also tv. You can even take a blase’ attitude and catch up on your ZZZZZ’s . Nap a little. I hope this helps you to feel more relaxed about the whole process. I’ve been cancer free for 8 years and I owe it to chemo that I,m here today. I don,t take tamoxafin. You have to have positive receptors for that on going drug, and I don,t .But I,m here today and smiling. God Bless you all, Love gramms aka marjorie

gramms,
don’t know how I got your message but I loved it. I felt the same way
during my chemo. I will have two years since my diagnosis this July, and
one year since I completed chemo. I did all the things you mentioned. I
have to admit that I missed my every other weekly visit to the treatment
center. I laughed, watched tv ( I even got the remote a couple times) had
friends and kids have lunch with me, and during my 4 taxol treatments which
took 4-5 hours I got in some naps with my special blanket! I tried reading
a couple times but found myself deep in conversations with other patients
and learning about their stories. Our nurses would pass out special treats
on occasion, many people, myself included, made snacks to bring and share,
it was so much like a special community, and we all shared a common bond. I
have met some wonderful people through my treatments and joined a support
group when I finished that meets once a month to share what’s new in our
lives. So many people I would have never had the opportunity to meet. If I
can ever get registered again on careplace I will write you again!
----- Original Message -----
To: bsiems@esu8.org
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:14 PM
Subject: [BULK] [bc] Beginning chemo~ #1- RELAX

Thanks Gramms and Teachermom,
I just completed my 2nd of 6 treatments. I get four med all at one treatment. The first treatment was really hard and getting a handle on all of the side effects I had, of course after I controlled one I got another, it was a standing joke with my husband whats next. My first treatment she used some numbing shot that probably hurt worse then just putting the needle in the port, and removing she didn’t use anything and it was pretty uncomfortable. This time they asked me shot, spray or ice. I took the spray and both inserting the needle and removing were totally pain free. The first treatment I got a real bad sinus headache and hot flashes before I got out of the chair. The nurse said that one of the meds they usually give in a hour drip and I got it in 30 minutes. The hot flashes lasted about 3 hours and when they went away I felt horrible. She changed it to 45 minutes and no headache or hot flashes. This one went way better and I am glad to know things can be changed to make things better. Thanks for you SURVIVORS helping us through this rather tough time in our life.

Monique