Beginning stages of achalasia

I am 48 and in the beginning stages of achalasia and am wondering if diagnosed early what the prognosis is for the future? I’ve had two pneumatic dilatations, the 2nd was done a month ago. Had a barium test yesterday which looked great but I’m still symptomatic, spasms are worse than ever. I see the best doctor in the country, Dr. Joel Richter at Temple. Feeling like I’m going crazy.

Have you done a Manometry yet? If not, you should request that it be conducted right away. I believe this is the key test to get a confirmed Achalasia diagnosis.

Yes, had one before the last treatment with the botox. The dr. said it was not Achalasia, but DES. However, this can lead into Achalasia, as I understand.

Tatiana,
Yes, had manometry done with confirmed diagnosis of Achalasia. Thanks for responding.
Dotty

Hi Dotty,
I am in the same boat as you. From info from the docs and research online, the treatments for achalasia include: surgery (the Heller Myotomy), Botox injections (must be repeated 6months - 1 year), medications (for spasms), and dialations (have not worked for me). Has your doc talked about treatments with you?
As for me, I think I am a bit apprehensive about going straight for surgery. I think I want to try out the botox once and then decide. Hope you feel better and keep us posted :slight_smile:

Unless there are no other alternatives or if you are a senior citizen, why
would anyone choose botox to treat achalasia? 6 months, if you are lucky, is
no way to live, given the accumulation of scar tissue that may or may not
complicate a future surgery if needed. I can understand a pneumatic dilitation
in order to avoid surgery, since it has a better chance of lasting longer,
but botox? You are also injecting what amounts to a poison into your body and
I wonder if there may not be other side affects, if repeatedly administered,
that are yet to be discovered.

Richard

I totally agree with Richard that Botox isn’t the best first-line treatment!
Not everyone responds to Botox in the same way and it can cause scarring,
which can complicate future surgery. My husband had 3 rounds of Botox
injections (for DES, like Ruth has). Each one did less and less for him and
by the third one, he had a major rebound of his symptoms (spasms) about 3
weeks later. I believe his body had learned to recognize this “foreign
invader” and responded this way to it. With DES, there aren’t many other
options, but with Achalasia, there are many, many success stories with
surgery. Just something to consider.

Brenda

No botox for me, doesn’t make sense PLUS Joel Richter would never have it. that is reserved only for patients who cannot have dilatation or surgery. Again I’m really just looking to see how people are doing that have been diagnosed with Achalasia, have had it for minimum of ten years and have been able to maintain a good quality of life without progressing to surgery. I’m looking for any tips on how to maintain my health or improve. Or, does this disease always progress and get worse?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am just scared to death of any kind of surgery… I am trying my best to get through the days but now I am really thinking about taking the plunge. My appointments are coming up soon and I will keep you all posted :wink: