Biopsy

Is a biopsy of one of the lumps necessary for a definative diagnosis?

Hi, and welcome!

No, a biopsy can only offer other possibilities, or rule them out. There is no “test” for Dercum’s. Diagnosis is made clinically with your doctor’s careful questioning and observation, or, like so many here, via their own determination to find an answer, and having to go so far as to self-diagnose.

Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear. Just know that we’ve all been there.

me

No, in fact a biopsy will not give you a definitive diagnosis. It might rule DD out, though, or show something else going on. Dercum’s Disease is a clinical diagnosis, done by ruling out everything else it could be first.

Pamela

Go to www.lipomadoc.org Dr. Herbst is the only one doing studies on the lipomas from Dercums Disease. You can contact here and get information to take to your local doctor. I went to an internist for diagnosis. Some people have used general docs or rhuematologists. Good luck, hugs, stonel

Thank you! I have emailed Dr. Herbst and she has responded, had me complete the questionnaire. I also sent information to my PCP, both agree that it sounds like what is going on with me. I wish I were closer to California and I’d make an appointment to see her!