Bipolar/PMS Link?

Hi there - quick overview from me: 42 year-old woman diagnosed as BP2 a few years ago after YEARS of being treated for unipolar depression. Now have been on Depakote for about a year and doing very well. I have noticed however that my PMS (starting around the time of ovulation) REALLY exacerbates my bi-polar symptoms. When I was finally diagnosed, the Pdoc actually said that that was a big sign that I WAS in fact BP rather than just having major depression (having severe PMS). Does anyone else deal with this? (symptoms worsening then getting so much better?) It’s to the point where I pretty much feel normal for most of the month but completely “OFF” for the ten or so days leading up to my period. Does anyone take any meds in “cycles” as opposed to continuously? (only for BPII people - I think it would be rather dangerous for a BPI to try that). I’ve considered trying that and my doctor is pretty much up for anything that he thinks would work for me. Just looking for some feedback. Again, I must stress that I am BPII, not BPI so it is not dangerous for me to go off my meds.

My daughter is really bad about 10 days before her period and not a easy person for her family to get along with… But there is NO way anyone can tell her she is bipolar… I keep hoping some day she will stop fighting it and except the help she needs…

I hope things get better for you cause I know its not easy in any way…

Diana

Gone fishing til September 23rd.

~Debby

To answer the question about your daughter being bipolar. This is only my opinion, so you can take it for what it is or isn’t for you.
You can’t convince your daughter that she is bipolar until she is ready to accept that there is a serious problem with herself. But you can suggest some things that worked for me. I took over the counter medication for PMS.
I would take like MIDOL for PMS and and I would take PREMYSEN and there is a vitamin put out by Thompsons and SCHIFF that works pretty good for PMS. Sometimes these will work on the bipolar as well.
But as long as you try to convince she is bipolar she is going to fight harder against it, and you. so my suggestion is to go another route; finding her OTC stuff that can help her feel better until she is willing to go get help. We can’t change anyone, nor convince anyone of any thing, unless that is what they want to hear do. Sometimes we have to hit rock bottom before we will listen.

I agree with bip! I’m BPII, too, and my symptoms of PMS are still there even though I am on BP meds continuously. Before taking meds, I can remember being a real be-otch, extremely moody and depressed - staying in my bedroom a lot. After starting my meds I have seen a drastic change in the mood swings & depression but it is still there on a much smaller scale. Hormones have a big part of the whole thing, too. No one wants to admit they have a disorder, but eventually they have to face up to it. I wouldn’t push her with the accepting of a diagnosis of having a disorder - especially BP! She may be upset b/c, like so many peeps, being BP is simply “crazy.” Has she been seen by a doc? Perhaps he/she could explain to her what is going on in a way that she doesn’t feel like she’s being called “crazy.” And that’s my 2 cents. Good luck with her.