Botox injections and achalasia?

I am wondering if anyone has had good results with botox injections?

Hi,

Yes, very good results! I have my A. for over 15 years now and have had several treatment (3rd myotomy will be next year). Spasms/pains started about 10 or 11 years ago and I can only find relief using nifidepine (tablet under tongue). It doesn’t take the pain away, but cuts of the sharp edges.

Had my first Botox about 5 or 6 weeks ago and have been spasm/pain free for about 4 or 5 weeks after that. My swallowing problems returned at the same time. Things aren’t yet completely as bad as before Botox, but it is wearing off. Usually it starts wearing off somewhere between 2 and 6 months. However, there are also patients in which Botox lasts for about 18 months.

I’ld give it a try.

Isabella

Be careful with botox - it can work well but only for short periods of time - it also tends to be less effective each time you use it.

It is a good option for people who are not good surgical candidates and it does seem a bit more effective in older people but I still have not heard anyone who has had more than a year or two at best.

Hi,

For me Botox works great, as described in my former post. I am aware of the fact, that it gets less effective every time you use it. After about 5 or 6 times it normally doesn’t do it’s job anymore.

In my case, that’s no problem. I use the Botox as a bridge between the period inbetween my two surgeries (2nd myotomy of last January failed, having 3rd coming year, cannot have it now due to scar tissue and insurance issues). It’s great being able to overcome this period in such great way. Should the Botox not do the trick anymore, I’ll have some dillatations in the mean time.

Botox in itself doesn’t hurt or damage anything on the long term for as far as I know. So I guess there’s nothing really against the use of it.

Isabella

I have had 2 Botox injections, the first in July 05 and the second in May of this year. I had wonderful success with the first one, it lasted for 6 and a half months. Unfortunately, the second injection didn’t work at all, but from what my doc says that’s not unusual considering the severity of my A. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Meredith