Bottle and Bedtime Routine

We have two boys with fragile x, ages 2 and 5. Does anyone have any advice regarding getting rid of the bottle ??(for the 2 year old.) He is so attached to it and we are trying to move to the cup with limited success. He will not accept any sippy cup only an open cup with help.

In addition, does anyone have a solid bedtime routine that works well for getting them down relatively calmly? We have a really hard time when it comes to settling down especially because it gets dark later.

Any help we can provide, we would love to correspond. Thanks!

Eric and Alexandra

My son went to bed with a bottle for a long time too. I used a sippy cup as a transition, and then went to a regular cup. I just put a little milk in it, about 2 or 3 sips, and he could drink that while sitting in bed, but then had to lay down. But I wouldn’t let him lay down with it (believe me, he tried) he had to drink it all first. Then if he wanted to go to sleep with the empty cup, I let him. After he fell asleep, I went in and got it. I have found that he likes a routine, definately, but that I also can not be too rigid. I have to go with the flow, not force him to conform to what I think he should be doing. His bed routine now at 6 is: bath, snack, a cartoon, then a book or listen to music. Not that it goes that smoothly everytime, but he knows the routine, and it’s hard to get him down if we skip one of the steps. That’s the main thing I can say: routine, routine, routine. Repeat, repeat, repeat. And relax and go with the flow he sets.