Breast cancer

i have been diagnosed with breast cancer 18 months ago .things seem to be going along fine but i get very tearful at times and start to panic about my future i was orininally from england but now live in ireland .i wanted to go back to england but could find no help to resettlment so i have remained here .does anyone else feel this way or have they learned to just get on with it

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other . Anxiety is normal. Keep busy and concentrate on healthy lifestyle. You,ll be ok

hi barb,
thank you for your lovely email ,its good to know im not the only one like that .
funny you saying you feel different and dont understand people now, i feel the same .i do think differently now im more definate about what i want and what i will put up with ,but do feel in a trap with the cancer its difficult to see to far ahead so now i want to do things straight away ,drives my family mad ha ha thank you once again ,you are in a lovely country there

hi pizzaman thank you for your support i will take your advice im away walking now take care

Oh wren54, why would you want to leave Ireland? That is the one place that I would gladly endure the hardships of a long flight to go to. I know, perhaps you just wanted to go home. Are there relatives there?

It sounds like you are doing an amazing job of coping with this terrible disease. I cry buckets, and it’s my daughter, not me who has the breast cancer. Crying isn’t a sign of weakness ya know. It’s pretty normal, I think. Is there a friend who could just sit with you and give you a big old hug, and let you cry as long as you want to? There are days when my daughter and I do that. Then we watch a funny movie, and then we get back to what is it we have to do now to fight this thing.

I am sending you light and love across the old pond, and I will remember you tonight when I light my candle for my daughter. Do take care of yourself.

Debbie

No Wren, I don’t mind you asking my location. I live in Atlanta, GA, USA. I guess you could say I’m a southern belle, but I would rather be thought of as a steel magnolia. Have you ever been here? Our springs are just gorgeous, and it won’t be long now that all of the dogwoods and azaleas will be blooming. Is Ireland as green as it seems to be in movies and postcards? Dumb question, huh?

I hope my daughter does as well as you. She’s a strong young woman of 32. She had the last two drains taken out today after her mastectomy of last week. She said it hurt a lot. We meet with her oncologist Friday. I’m collecting tips from everyone on how to cope with the nausea. Got any for us?

Brightest blessings,

Debbie

Hi Debbie/Wren we all have to stick together, when so much grief is in this world you think to yourself what have I done to desrve this.
I have to tell you I have already lost 2 sons first time motorcyle
accident he was 27yrs old and left wife 23yrs and little girl 5yrs then many yrs later it happened again, motorcyle my son 40yrs old I wanted to die we felt as though there was nothing left for us to live for, but close knit family rallied around us, time does not heal,
one learns to live with it, but my heart always feels like a rain cloud ready to burst, that never leaves. but now to see my daughter going to have this chemo after losing her breasts, it makes me doubt my religious beliefs. I have nursed other people but can’t help my own. I run a club for the elderly we have 50 members
which keeps me busy, but my thoughts are 120miles away with my daughter.

x xjean

hi jean
i was choked to hear of all the sadness you have endured god i dont know what i would do if anything happened to my daughter she is 18 and leaving to go to college and im sick with worry about her getting hurt in some way its a nasty old world out there .no ive not been to usa wish i had ,ireland is so green because it is so wet ,i keep checking my feet to see if they are webbed yet.
it has some lovely scenery and the people are very friendly .i live where there are mountains they call them the blue stack mountains of donegal .your daughter is in my thoughts and yes getting the drains out is painful but that is the first baby step to recovery it must be dreadful being so far away from her but she is in good hands oncology nurses are wonderful people ,my nurse even bought me in a lavender oil burner to help me relax and tons of magazines she was lovely they are very caring people keeping busy is the only thing you can do the best thing you can do for your daughter is tokeep positive take care jean all the best to you from jenny

Hi, Wren,
i live in ireland as well. I am Flemish, and to be honest, I do wonder if The treatment in Belgium wouldn’t have been better. I guess, when you get into situations like this, there is no place like home. I have no relatives here, apart from my own children and my husband. Luckily women inIreland do tend to rally around yoy when you are in need, at least in Cork they do.
Belgium is a very secular country, and I am finding it hard to cope with the religious side of life here. Not for me!