Caffeine and DI

Does anyone know if you drink caffeinated drinks if it makes you pee more. I came across some information as I was researching my diagnosis of DI and it said that if you drank liquids with caffeine in them that it would make you pee more often. Since I read this article all I drink is caffeine free drinks, but I miss my green tea. Has anyone else heard about this?

I have heard this, my husband had a condition where peeing was a problem, not DI, and his doctor told him to give up caffeine.

I have CDI and drink coffee all morning, thankfully with no problem. you can try adding a bit back in slowly and see if it makes a difference.

caffeine is a diuretic…which means it makes you pee…so caffeine and iced
tea and things of that nature will increase your urine output/frequency.

as for the drink all you want…I wonder if we really can? I imagine that at
some point we’d be at a risk of water intoxication, which can also be deadly.
However, for most DI folks, that would have to be a pretty intense drinking
regimen. Any thoughts on this?

Steph

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on
AOL Home.

(http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

I think that we can drink as much as we want as long as we are not taking the ddavp. That is when the Endo told me to be careful. The DDAVP is what make us retain the fluids so we are not in a state of dehydration all the time. So be careful if you are taking your meds and drinking like that! It seems that the meds are not working if you are really still that thirsty. Right??

Kim

I agree, when my meds work I have to remember to drink, quite a sharp contrast to before my diagnosis

I find having a coffee gives me a headache and I get alot thirstier for sure, my Dr. said on diagnosis of my DI, I shouldn’t have alcohol either, for the same reason, basically we just become healthier people…that’s not so bad.

Have you tried “Ecco” or “Caro” naturally de-cafe coffee’s and they make you think your still drinking the good stuff! I love them, just an idea
:slight_smile:

I have cut down on my caffeine a bit since finding more out about this. I do have my coffee in the morning, but not as much now. I will switch to decaf if I want more. I never had alcohol, so that wasn’t an issue for me. I think you are right though Della, it is definitely a healthier frame of mind.