Cancer and alternative treatments

Hi I just joined. I was diagnosed a year ago, underwent a mastectomy March 06. I was stage 2 er+ node - and Her2+. I was advised to do AC, Herceptin and Arimidex. I declined as all can have heart consequences and congestive heart failure with dementia run in the family. I was at my mother’s death bed 3 weeks post mastectomy. The last 20 years of her life the quality was not there due to the heart problems and dementia. I am seeing a naturopath and doing acupunture and Tai Chi. Any one else going this route? I put in a large garden 6 weeks post op and filled 2 freezers with the produce. I figured that was better for me than the side effects of Chemo and the other therapies. Physically I am doing well, though am having a problem with the anniversary of the mastectomy coming up. I can’t get over the sense of violation, probably because I was never afraid of the cancer, the " conventional cure?" is what scares/scared me!!!

Has nothing to do with being couragous, more to do with going with my gut. If I had done Chemo would have been tooooooo aware of the damage it was doing to the rest of my body and immune system, which does not need any more screwing up! I am not into the juices or strictly vegin. I am going organic where ever possible, grow a lot of my own fruits and vegetables, in fact that is what I was doing as opposed to Chemo last summer. Had the garden in 6 weeks post op dispite complications from surgery. Filled two freezers and have found a source for organic meat. I am taking suppliments, magnesium, cod liver oil (shades of my childhood) and melatonin (many women with breast cancer are deficient and it helps to down regulate estrogen). Also, taking about 5 times the RDA of D3 another vitamin women with BC are often deficient in. My naturopath and I are looking into the precurser for Vit E as, in some studies it is shown to be of benefit in Her2+ cancer. Oh yeah, add to the mix LARGE doses of arobics, strength training and Tai Chi. Big Pharma will have lost about 100,000 dollars on me over a five year period. Actually I am a real chicken, I sat at my mother’s death bed 3 weeks post op. She suffered so it was a relief to see her go. I couldn’t live with the possibility of congestive heart failure, sooner rather than later, due to the therapies recommended, not after watching the hell my mother and grandmother went through for their last 20 years.

I did go through the chemotherapy, and have mild heart problems as a result. I was grade 3a, node+,HER2+, ER-.
Didn’t have much choice though.
I had 1 year Herceptin treatment, and can call myself a survivor now.
We have started growing our own vegetables as well, and eat organic as much as possible. I take D3 supplements and travel to the sun, whenever I can, to soak up more vit D3.
Exercise is the hard part. I try and fit it in, but it’s not easy. We have 4 young children and run our own business, it’s very demanding.
It’s good to see you are taking such positive steps, and I am sure you’ll make it.
Big hugs.