Caregiving and PC the roller coaster

Hi

I am a caregiver for my wife who was Dx’d in March of 2005.

I want the opporunity to discuss the caregiving role ans th feeling you have.

slowhand

My husband was told he has a tumor in his pancreas about 5 weeks ago, and its been an emotional roller coaster ever since. Its like hurry up and WAIT !! He had an Ercp last week, it wasnt very informative, the doc didnt do a biopsy, He just recommends he have half his Pancreas removed and is referring us to a cancer center. He said even if it is Benign it would have to be removed. My husband has been very positive until after this procedure, Now he is moody and very upset, and we really didnt get any “different or Worse” news. I am finding myself physically sick with all the stress in our lives now. I just want my old boring life back. I want my husband to be well. I was just wondering if anyone else went through this, surgery before a cancer diagnosis was even made

Hi AngelLover

It is normal for some doc’s not to do a biopsy, for fear of releasing cancer cells into the blood stream, or into any other organ.

Many doctors feel that if you have a tumur on the pancreas, weather milignat or benign it must be removed. A benign tumor has a very good chance of turning milignant, and since this cancer shows no real symptoms until it has progressed so far to be life threatining, they feel the best course of action is to remove it.

My wife never had a ERCP or a biopsy, prior to surgery. She was Dx’d and 2 weeks later was in the operating romm. that all took place in March and April of 2005.

You say you want tour old boring life back, I would give anything for that, but have realized that I amd my wife (the patient) each have a “New Normal” to adjust to.

Angel Never…Never give up hope.

My thoughts are with you

Slowhand

Slowhand and Angel …

I too am a caregiver for my husband who has PC Stage 4.

I can well relate to the rollercoaster ride we’ve been on since his diagnosis. He has been through some periods of tremendous pain and for several weeks had alot of vomiting and nausea and not able to keep anything down.

When he was first diagnosed it was like his brain went into “overdrive” … he would lay awake night after night thinking of all the things that he needed to do before he dies. He would use sticky notes to write notes and put them on the kitchen table. As each thing was accomplished he threw the note away. That intensity has eased now … most things that he’s wanted to accomplish have been done and we go more one-day-at-a-time now.

At present his pain is at a tolerable level and the nausea/vomiting has eased, both with increases in his meds. The side effects of those meds so often is being more tired and sleeping, but we would both much rather have him at a comfortable level and resting more than to be experiencing pain and nausea/vomiting. I find myself hesitant to “let down my guard” though because I know how quickly things can change.

I am very thankful for many things … the support of friends/family, a wonderful doctor and nurses, tolerable levels of pain at present, etc. We continue to do what Gary feels up to doing. It doesn’t take much to completely wear him out.

He has always been a hunter and looked forward to the fall and hunting season. He has gotten his license this year, but is no longer able to tromp through the woods hours on end. This year, he and a friend have used a 4-wheeler to go out. He helped his sister get her deer on Monday and nothing could have pleased him more. There have been alot of deer coming into our meadow behind the house so he will have no problem getting his deer before the season is over. There is alot of bittersweetness to hunting this year for him, because it could well be his last year to do that.

As with all of you, we continue to do what we can, and to build memories.

Diane

diane did you see the oprah show the guy was given two months last month and talks about the meaning of life to him. i thing it was one of the many videos i posted.

make sure you check the info in the group files. watch the several videos on cantron and world without cancer i have tried to post info soit will free time for new comers.

there are people on the cancercured group that have used cantron for thier cancers successfully the cantron group has people you can call and talk to in the database.

you will find things to help in others postings and i posted a pancreatic cancer video on www.video.yahoo.com just put info in the search bars on the different video web pages.

blessings
debbie

sunflower1948 pancreatic-cancer-cpt4180@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Debbie …

I did see the Oprah show and found it very informative.

I’ve tried uploading some of the videos, but they haven’t worked. We only have dial-up here (no high speed option) and our ISP has antiquated equipment … doesn’t sound like they’ll be updating anything as other than isolated areas almost everyone has high speed now. So, guess we’re stuck with what we have.

Thanks,
Diane

I also saw the Oprah show and was even more impressed with Kris Carr the young girl who wrote the book Crazy Sexy Cancer. Her story was aired in full the other evening on our TLC channel and it was amazing!! Her positive outlook in the gloom of the word “incurable” was an inspiration to me as a PC patient. She explored everything possible and experienced so many wonderful things. She is an inspiration and the “HOPE” that everyone needs to face each day. I know I felt her presence and her positive emotions from that night. She helped me get through some terrible words that I have heard through this journey and I have come to realize they are only words - it is what we ourselves do with them. We are in control always no matter what and we have choices that are ours and our loved ones. If anyone has the opportunity to see that show and I am sure it will air again - try to catch it. It was not at all depressing or sad but I thought uplifting.

tomcat