Causes of Chronic Pancreatitis

Hello all,
Other than fatty foods, does anyone know what can trigger a Chronic Pancreatitis attack? I’m good with low fat foods and a few days ago got a horrible attack and now I can’t eat.

If fat is the problem, why am I so sick? Does anyone have idopathetic CP and suffers like this?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

I have ALWAYS had a problem with protein as well as fat. One way to try this is to eat about 4 oz. of meat and do so with each meal. You should be getting a lot of pain within 8 hours if you ate the protein for lunch at 12 and the protein at dinner. You should feel pretty poorly by just a little after dinner. From this you should be able to determine if protein is your enemy. Make sure that the protein is low in fat. Also, try not to eat any other fat during this trial beginning before breakfast.

Good luck,

Anyse

Hello Chris,

I have idiopathic CP and have the same problem. In-fact for the last few days I have been in terrible pain and can’t or don’t want to eat, with no explanation as to why. I will eat something one day and eat the very same thing the next day and will be terribly sick from it. This disease really has no rhyme or reason.

Leanne

Stress seems to affect me at times. Anything, and that would include any type of food, that stimulates your pancreas to produce enzymes can conceivably cause an attack. Remember that the underlying cause of pancreatitis is the pancreatic enzymes digesting the pancreas whether this is caused by some physical issue (pancreas divisum, blocked ducts, etc…) or because the enzymes are being activated too soon (autoimmune, ideopathic, alcohol-induced, etc…). As the damage occurs over and over again, our pancreata develop scarring and inflammation and the ducts become enlarged which causes a vicious cycle. At that point we are classified as “chronic” as opposed to “acute” or even “recurrent acute”.

Warbi

Have you ever seen a dietician? Anyse has a good point - protein may be part of the problem. The pancreas works extra hard to digest protein (takes a long time which means large amounts of enzymes). Low protein, low fat, high carbs is what was recommended for me. Of course, I have yet to test the theory full but I do know that when I have attacks and can not eat, I restart my diet with lots of pasta, which causes the least amount of pain.

I do have to agree with Leanne, no rhyme or reason. Hydration also seems to play a MAJOR role in my exacerbations. Even becoming slightly dehydrated can cause issues.

Good luck and prayers for a pain free day!

No, I haven’t seen a dietician, but I do follow the low protein, low fat, high carb diet for sure. As you said, lots of pastas, rice, bread, things of that nature. When I do eat protein, it is always low fat- something like boneless skinless chicken, seafood. I don’t eat every day especially if I can tell that my pancreas is not happy. Some days that I eat it will be no more than a few crackers or chips and three or four bites of whatever I have fixed for my wife. This month has been a lot better than the preceding two months before it. However, I have reached a point where about 90% of my caloric intake is from sodas so I am basically living off sodas, meds, multivitamins, and fish and flaxseed oils. I sure do miss the pizza, the occasional slice of bacon, Alfredo sauces, and my homemade Newberg sauce… I know that we all have things that we really miss. Hoping for a relatively pain-free day for everyone.

Warren

Warren,
Beware! You are treading on dangerous ground. I know, because I have been there, done that, and got in hospital for it! You need good nutrition from somewhere. I could only do about what you did for a year and I wound up, literally, starving to death! I still have low liver, kidney function as well as slightly anemic. This was the reason that I demanded to go on TPN. I simply could not eat correctly at all and had to have some form of positive nutrition. I still am unable to drink very much either.

Anyse

To all:

thanks for all of the tips for my Chronic Pancreatitis. I agree with all of you! I will try all of your suggestions.

Thanks again!!! I pray for the day that something, someone, will do some research to help all of us as well as all of the millions of diabetecs out there with pancreatic problems.

Let’s keep hoping for that day.

Christina

Hi there, and I hope today is a good day for everyone. Juliette went right from detox/rehab/learn-to-live with this evilo diesease right back into the hospital. They are still not giving her IV drugs, as now she is labeled an addict! She has never taken any drug illisutly, and at home will not take one extra pill than is prescribed. I’ve bewen with her every day, and it seems so cruel to allow her to suffer on and on and on like this. As far as diet, its almost impossible to get her to eat any kind of diet that doesn’t incude fats and junk. She is 16 yers old, and she reports that everything hurts her, and demaqnds to at least eat some yummies. So, now she is on TPN, and I hope that it helps her, as watching her sufferring is killing me a little more every day. Yesterday I ended up in the hospital with a migraine/spinal headache. I need surgery on my neck from a failed fusion, and the plate is loose and there is a broken screw in my spine. I can’t take care of myself, for there really isn’t anyone to hold her hand through her ordeal. She has now told me she won’t live in this pain, aqnd if it goes on, will throw herself in front of a bvus one day. I told the doctors, and asked for a therapist, and Cedars Sinai, one of the largest teahing hospitals on the west coast, with a psychiatric school attached, just isn’t set up for that. I should probably be writing in my journal, not post all this, as I’m now venting. Sorry Jill

No problems, Jill, we have all vented on here from time to time. Hang in there! The diet is a big thing. I know that she is young, but you have to be the “evil one” and keep her on a strict healthy low-fat diet. She is doing herself harm with a bad diet. That is one of the few things that we can control. Try to find a pain clinic or a PCP that will enter into a pain contract with her. While long-acting narcs won’t keep the bad days from happening, they do alleviate the day-to-day pain that we all have.

(((HUGS)))
Warren

Jill,

I am so sorry to hear of all the truble. I know your daughter is suffering a lot. But you have to take care of yourself also. Do you have a church that you can go to get help?

If not get on the phone and start calling different churches in your area. Some have Care ministries that reach out to help in many different ways. You don’t have to be a member. There is also the Ecumencial outreach of the Catholic church. Check to see if there are any organizations that are avaiable to get you and your daughter some relief. If nothing else just for a day of rest once a week.

Check with your local library. They usually have a list of places that will help take some pressure off of caregivers and referrals for medical relief.

I’ll be praying for you.

Vonnic

I have chronic idiopathic pancreatitis. They can’t find any reason, Never drank did drugs, no gall bladder issues, no inflammation, no calcifications, no duct issues, no genetic causes, no family history.

What works best for me is a very low fat diet - 20 g of fat or less per day. I realized that it is drastic but it is either this or be in the hospital more than the 3 or 4 times a year I am already there for this miserable disease.

My diet is very restrictive but it is what works for me. I am diabetic and insulin dependent (from an acute attack) and so I can’t carb load.

I eat meat no more than 2-3 times per week. My meals are 90% vegetables. I eat steamed veggies with Molly McButter (no fat). I avoid spicy foods. Actually, I avoid foods with a lot of spices, period. I don’t eat eggs, cheese, or any fried foods.

My parents are from India and so I miss eating foods with spices. While I have up not foods a long time ago, giving up spices sucks.

I make sure that I take a multi-vitamin since when my nausea is bad I know I don’t get proper nutrition.

I hope that this helps.

I agree that there must be some other unknown trigger. At times my pancreas still acts up even if I haven’t eaten something bad or anything else that might trigger it.

It can be hard to find that balance between not pissing off your pancreas but still getting your body the nourishment it needs.

Warren,

Dear one, I hope this doesn’t sound silly or mean…but have you tried going off of soda for a while? I was having horrible flare ups last year, and I decided to quit caffeine…(I don’t drink coffee) within about a two week weaning off period, I felt much better! I also stay away from anything that has splenda or other artificial sweeteners. Instead, I have learned to drink more water, sport drinks and juices. Every once in a while of course, I’ll treat myself to a small whatever, just for the bubbles, but I notice if I treat too much I start to have problems.

I have no idea why it bothers me…too much sugar or the gas in the carbonation? Who knows? I know the last thing you want to hear is that you have to give up one more thing for this…BUT, if you feel better, maybe you won’t miss it so much.

susan, IN

Susan,

no it sounds neither silly nor mean. In fact, my wife and I have been talking about it on and off for a while. I would certainly start losing quite a bit of weight as I am consuming between 1,000 to 1,400 calories a day from soda and some days it is the only way I receive any calories! You didn’t say it spitefully or condescendingly which I truly appreciate! :wink: I will probably start by cutting back to 4 sodas a day. One of my concerns, other than losing an unhealthy amount of weight, is that recently sodas seem to be the only thing that slakes my overwhelming thirst. No joke- there are times when my mouth and body feels so parched no matter how much water or sports drinks I imbibe. The acids probably have more to do with causing problems than anything else so that would also rule out citric juices. Thank you again for your suggestion. :slight_smile:

Warren