Cerebral Palsy Member Introductions

Hi, my name is Terry and I was born with a “mild” case of C.P. I would like to connect with individuals that are single or married and find out what is “new” for those with disabilities. I am married to a “wonderful” guy! We celebrated 23 year’s of marriage in May, his b’day. We have been blessed to have built 2 homes! We love to travel and have seen a lot of God’s creation! I went to my 30th High School Reunion last saturday night at The Stone Mountian Inn. It was a “blast”! I especially enjoyed the ball player’s comments…WOW!! I look forward to meeting “new” friends on this sight. For more information visit my page at myspace.com/mistressofwings. Leave a comment so that I will know that you were there! Thanks, Terry

Entry for May 27, 2007
I think the that people would think that by now I would be used to being disabled sorry to bitch, but this the only way I can work through my frustrations is too write about it. I have everything up stairs in my brain but it is hard to get down things down on paper. I want to at least get a two year degree. And if I put my mind to it I think I can accomplish getting my degree by taking courses on line. I am starting to walk again. I feel bad because alot of people worse off then me have accomplished more things then I have :Why Can’t we all just live in peace and get along with each other dispite our diferences. To all the men and women thank you for serving our country and risking your lives for all of ours. My Prayere and thoughts are always with you.
Tags: | Edit Tags

Saturday May 26, 2007 - 11:27am (MST) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 1 Comment

Entry for May 26, 2007
People with CP are not sterilzed. Many people with Cp are very capable to be parents. And I WILL NEVER EVER BE STERILIZED.Tags: | Edit Tags

Thursday May 24, 2007 - 01:40pm (MST) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 1 Comment

Entry for May 25, 2007
Cerebral Palsy is caused by injury to an infant’s brain sustained during late pregnancy, birth, or any time during the first two years of life. Advances in diagnostic technology have led to a much better understanding of the causes of cerebral palsy. Over half of the cases are now thought to be due to prenatal causes such as an infection that spreads from the mother to the fetus, maternal stroke that prevents proper blood supply to the fetus, exposure to environmental toxins, or problems in brain development. The remaining cases are due to adverse events such as traumatic birth delivery, premature birth and its complications, meningitis (infection of the brain or its protective coverings), or head injury due to child abuse. Very rarely, heredity plays a role. In some cases, it is difficult to pinpoint a single event that may have caused cerebral palsy. Blackman, James A. “Cerebral Palsy.” Microsoft® Encarta® 2007 [DVD]. Redmond, WA: Microsoft Corporation, 2006.
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2007. © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Here are some are some famous people with Cerebral Palsy.Stephen Hopkins suffered from cerebral palsy and affixed his signature to the declaration of Independence with a shaking hand.

Christy brown (1932-1981)
He suffered from athetoid cerebral palsy and was treated as a mentally retarded child till he snatched a piece of chalk from his sister using his left foot. He taught himself to use his foot to write and paint. This became the topic for his autobiography" my left foot" Which was a tremendous success. He followed it with “Down All the Days”, “A Shadow on summer” and “Wild Grow the Lilies”. “Down all the days” was translated into fourteen languages. He has a number of good poetry collections to his name. He painted just as well as he wrote…

Chris Fonseca
He was a comedian who declared to the world that in spite of having cerebral palsy he could still laugh. He has an important role in the American comedy club circuit and has written many pieces for other comedians.

Geri Jewell
Like Chris fonseca, Geri proved to the world that even disabled people had a sense of humor, which they used to bring joy to other people’s lives. She also appeared on television in the Facts of Life.

Chris Nolan
He was born with cerebral palsy and could not move or talk. When he was 14 he had a collection of poems to his name—“Dam burst of dreams”. The best part was that he strapped a stick to his forehead and managed to direct the pointer to the keyboard. He later published his autobiography “under the eye of the clock” and won the Whitbread Prize.

Ken Kroll, afflicted with Cerebral Palsy, wrote a novel called Enabling Romance.

Tom Garside
He is a 12 year old who is diagnosed with spastic diplegia, but this does not deter him from fishing, hunting and snowmobiling. He is a very mature teenager who desires to get a Ph.D. in one of the sciences. The determination and ambition he exhibits can put to shame an ordinary individual with no defect.

Bill Porter otherwise known as William Macy works as a salesman for Watkins Company. Going door to door requires tremendous effort as he has cerebral palsy because it affects the way he walks and talks. Although his boss is skeptical about his success, Bill is determined to succeed. His mother believes in his abilities and Bill is set to prove her right.

Purdue University has as a student a very plucky teenager—Ben Comen who has cerebral palsy. His grit and will power has induced students to take part in the 26.2 miles cross-country race. Ben has shown that no disorder can prevent a person from achieving what he wants.

Anne McDonald and Ruth Senkenwitz Mercer, Australian Writer and Social Critic and
Writer/Lecturer respectively are also afflicted with cerebral palsy.
Thomas Ritter brother of Actor John Ritter is associated with the starting of the United Cerebral Palsy associations.

Stephen Hawking - The famous physicist who has written “A brief history of time”, has cerebral palsy

Jhamak Ghimire - A Nepalese Poet and Writer (1980) had cerebral palsy right from birth. Teaching herself to read and write, she has contributed to the writing of literature in Nepal. She is sometimes called the “Helen Keller of Nepal”.

© 2004 www.cerebralpalsyindia.com . All rights reserved. Material on this site may be printed for personal classroom use without permission by students and instructors for non-profit, educational purposes only. All other reproduction in whole or in part, including electronic reproduction or redistribution, for any purpose, except by express written agreement is strictly prohibited.

For the ones who think I am Mentally Retarded You are wrong on so many Different levels. And I will fight back with anyone who says otherwise!!!

Side note: Stephen Hawking has Lou Gerhigs Disease, whoever wrote this must be pretty messed up.
Tags: | Edit Tags

Thursday May 24, 2007 - 01:38pm (MST) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 1 Comment

Entry for May 24, 2007
On July 10,1970 I was born in Alma, Michigan and I am the youngest of five children. My mother, gave birth to me but there were complications. It resulted in my having Cerebral Palsy. The doctor who delivered me was a friend of my mom’s because, she was a nurse where he worked as doctor and she was 37 at the time of my birth and she work with him at the hospital and his specialty was high risk pregnancies. When my mom went into the hospital she said they started pit-drip. The normal agar score is 10 my agar was 1. In the delivery room I was born between the gurney and the labor table. I was not crying my mom asked if I was OK. The doctor just sat there saying I was dead. Another doctor came into to perform resuscitation, on me. I lost oxygen and this resulted in my having Cerebral Palsy. My mom noticed that I was not doing things a normal infant would do at this age. My mom asked me perditrian of I had Cerebral Palsy. The doctor basically lied to my mom and he finally admitted the truth also, he said that he though I would be profoundly retarded. Mom said she wanted me test and he said to wait until I was five. She did not wait. She took my to the Mott clinic in Flint Michigan and they did all kinds of testing and they said I was not retarded and I would lead a full productive life. I wore glasses at thirteen months old and I tried to flush them down the toilet (although I don’t remember doing it.) I also started school for the handicapped at 13 months old, I did not walk until I was four. I did not crawl I BUNNY HOPED. My parents sent me to a special school 20 miles away where I did learn a thing. When I was nine I had surgery on my legs where the cut the wrong tendon in the right leg. I don’t like to walk I look funny. My mom had me mainstreamed at school 3 blocks from our house when that school went on strike. My mom and I lived in the same house that she and my dad brought for 10 years. My mom then got a job on the Indian Reservation up in Chinle, Arizona and then we moved to Mesa and Graduated from Westwood High school and went to ASU for 2 years. I plan to go back at some point. And 4 years ago I started to live independtly I plan to go back at some point.

I am a grandmother of a handsome 4 years old little boy. He is outgoing, full of life, always happy, eager to please but walks with a walker, still cannot take walks on his own, just a few steps, and his right side is limited for grasping.Kids in school are being cruel, just walking over him when he is on the floor (he crawls) and don’t want to play with him and I am very scared he is going to loose that energy to better himself and start closing done and get depressed. Any feed back you can give e is deeply appreciated.

Hey I am a 14 yr old teenager, with Cerebral Palsy. I want to connect with anyone else with this condition. Because I would like to share my accomplishments and things like that. I am really interested in also hearing other people’s stories and input about the condition.

Hi… I am 27 & have Cerebral Palsy. I was wondering if anyone has gone to speech therapy. I have a slight speech problem that I am looking to correct. My muscles are too loose so when I speak, I sometimes get tense in my face. I am looking for a job & I’m also dating so I’d like to see if there is a way to correct this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I’m 21 and in school at Shepherd U in WV I Love tattoos and good food

My son has been diagnosed with this. Because I would like to be able to better understand this condition and I would like to connect with people that are older than 6 years of age that have been diagnosed with this.

my son is 8 yrs old and has cp. he has seizures cant walk talk and has a feeding tube. he gets speech, physical and ocupational therapy. is there anyone out there that can give me any advice on getting my son to comunicate, I just want to know what he wants. what about legs one is 2 in shorter than other what are my options my dr keeps saying well hell never walk anyway so any advice would be healpful thanks mom if cp son

Hello I am Shai or Sean, it depends how you describe me. I came hear when I was 2 ½ years old, from Israel, and both of my parents are Romanian born. So I speak Romanian, Hebrew, French, and English; right now in that order. I have Cerebral Palsy, and 2 ½ years ago I had another accident. I am good looking, intelligent, and good neutered.

What I what is to find a person that I can do a lot with. I am a man, so I do not want to have sex with men, but I would lesson to any one, if they are willing to lesson to me. What has happened to me is a crime. But I let some one else drive my car, and I do not remember 6 months before and 3 months after the accident.

I am not marred, straight, and am not good at spelling since am least injury.

I would love to know your story.

My son is 10 and he has severe cp. I have had alot of questions over the years about alot and really no answers. I stay at home with him and have been uable to work due to the severity of his cp.He has a g- tube and has no head or trunk control he is on a 3 month old level but he smiles all the time. He is a very happy child. We have been approved for ssi and denied and are currently paying back what he did get because of my husbands income… I guess I would like to know is there nothing out there for him. For the hard working people that care for children with disabilities? If any one has any answers please let me know.

Primary is for educational reasons, though also to gain more personal knowledge as family member does have CP.

I think our daughter has CP, but her doctors wont diagnose her.

Hi, I’m new to this site so I hope I post this correctly. I am looking to visit with other parents, and girls who have CP. My daughter is 12, She seems very lonely and I want to know how to better support her and find ways to keep her interested in life. Alex loves school, and beginning to like boys. She loves music and dancing.

Also I was wondering if anyone has a permobile wheelchair (i think i spelled that right) or Levo…

If you can tell me where you live city/state. I may be able to help you. I managed a free scooter for my Mom-in-law with MS.
Let me know if you’d like some help.
Kurt

I’m a young woman with mild CP on my left side. I enjoy leading a busy life - doing things I love. I’m working on my business degree and have about a year left. I enjoy photography, volunteering, traveling, and spending time with family and friends. I enjoy speaking to groups about living with a disability. I’m looking to meet others with various disabilities, who are around my age. ~Megan

Hello all,

I just joined careplace. i am a 58 yr old female in michigan with mild cerebral palsey. i walk with cruthes or a walker and drive with hand controls.

i love meeting and getting to know people. i live in southeastern michigan. i am also a member of Disaboom.com if any of you care to check that out its another great site.

i enjoy hot air balloon festivals, movies, concerts , traveling , crafts. Kids i love to play with them but don’t have any.

I was married for 18 yr but am divorced. i live alone in a mobile home i had wheelchair accessable. i also suffer from depression, acid reflux or gerd, asthema, spastic bladder , IBS , Diverticulus . You name it i have it it seems like the older you get the more you get.

Was wondering if any of you members live in mich???

Barb

Hi Katie:Thanks for the email. I’d love to chat more… What messengers
do you have? Have a great day!

~Meg

I am Melissa. I think my daughter has CP.

Hi my name is Brooke. I’m 16 i’ll be 17 on May 1st. I live in Missouri with my mom dad 2 sisters 1 brother and a spoiled cat Riley. I have Mild CP and have had it since birth. I am just like everyone else…I have gotten teased so bad that I am now hom-schooled…But you know I believe that god has a plan for everyone so I keep my head up and never give up on my dreams!!! that is the best advice I can give someone just finding out that they have CP!

If anyone wants to be my friend on myspace here it is…

xoxo
Brooke

I am Shannon I was born with Spastic CP I find I am having more pain in my arms and legs then I once did. I am a college student living in Central Ohio