Chronic pelvic pain

I have not been able to have normal sex in many years because it is so painful. At age 59 it seems silly to discuss, but my husband is ready to divorce me because he does not understand my severe pain. I believe it may be caused by nerve damage sustained during childbirth and nerve damage from tearing my hamstring muscle twice. I had a hysterectomy in 1985 and also have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after an auto accident ten years ago. Is there somebody out there who can help me? Nedda

Hi Nedda…no its not silly to discuss sex at age 59 and sex makes the world turn for most guys at any age. Yes i also have pelvic pain due to fibromyalgia but i dont have it all the time just sometimes when i go to have sex. I take alot of pain medication becuz i have alot of other health problems in addition to fibro and i find that if i take one right before sex that it seems to help a bit. I’m sorry that you have to go thru this with your husband…it seems that men just dont get it do they? I’m thinking that perhaps a hot bath before hand will relax your pelvic muscles…its worth a try…hot water does wonders sometimes. good luck nedda…feel free to write me back.

I’m sad to say i can’t help you but i can identify with you. I too am in my early 50’s and the pain is unbearable. My husband is a sweetheart and is not threatening to leave me. But every once in a while a comment about the situation slips out. I have a doctor’s appt. april 3, and i’m going to see what the doctor says. I’ll let you know if she has any good ideas. I’m too young for this, i think.

since writing in the Careplace, I have done some research and joined the National Vulvodynia Association, reading several of their newsletters.  I also purchased three books, A HEADACHE IN THE PELVIS, by Erik Peper; V BOOK, by Elizabeth G. Stewart, MD; and THE VULVODYNIA SURVIVAL GUIDE (can’t find the book so can’t find the author.)  These books have helped me greatly to understand the problem and I just wish that I could have been led to them years earlier.   I also plan on trying to follow a LOW OXALATE diet as much as possible.  I also have Fibromyalgia but have had trouble with sex since I started having it 38 years ago.  The association will lead you to doctors who understand or will give you information to give your doctor.  I haven’t gotten that far yet, but hope to in the next week or so.  I hope I have been helpful to you and thank you for writing to me.  Nedda/Peter

Thanks Nedda…I hadnt even thought of that…i am so glad that u found that information. I have heard of it and maybe have read a little bit about it some time ago. I certainly will do some research tho. I don’t have problems often with sex but once in a while is quite enuff as it is very very painful. Hope you get the info that u want. feel free to write back nedda. I feel that i know u already…all this talk about sex…lol…just kidding.  love lorial