Clinical study?

I have to decide in the next 2 days (to be able to qualify for a clinical study) to have Enbrel injection on Monday, and for the next 8 weeks, then I can be accepted in the study with remicade injections comparable to Enbrel. I just started my first methotrexate injection this week because I’m on Medicare and could not afford to start the Enbrel. I am 54 years old and have stomach ulcers due to the meds taken for the last 13 years for my RA, I have two total knee replacements. My RA was most severe in my knees, but just in the last 6 months it has attacked my shoulders and wrists. I have visible damage and no use of my right hand (finger joints swollen, with fingers twisting).

Hi there,

You’ve obviously been through alot. Hope this new medication make a real difference in your life.

Best wishes,

Michelle.

Hi,

I do understand what you are going through. I’m 46, in a wheelchair, and have been unable to work since 1988. I have been on many medications including methotrexate, imuran, gold injections, cyclosporine, prednisone, etc. I too can not afford the Enbrel and had to be put on Leflunomide (with flurbiprofin) first and if that doesn’t help at least 2 other medications before the government will allow me to take Enbrel and help with the cost. You have to wonder why bother making the medication if the patients can’t afford to pay for it. The leflunomide has helped some - I was surprised - but as with most medications with me appears to be loosing it’s effect.

Good Luck with the trial.

Cindy